Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Reload Finetuning

Hello,

I have scheduled the reloads to run every day every 2 hours.

So in QV Epr. Mgmt. Cons. I chose the Option 'Hourly, Every 2 hours 0 mins., Start at 01/012010 7 am'. It runs every 2 hours now - fine - BUT:

During the night there are some maintenance routines ongoing, i.e. the reloads fail for known reasons.
Every day I receive (meanwhile annoying) emails from the server about failed reloads.

Can I finetune the reload schedule like 'Start at 7 am, run every 2 hours, last time at 11 pm' ?

I know that I could add a line in my load script like 'if time(now) > 11 pm then exit script' ... but this is the very last option I'd take.

Any idea? Thanks in advance,
Thilo

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Thilo,

In that case, I think your best bet is to use a command line reload. If you are not familiar with how this is done, see this page: http://qlikviewmaven.blogspot.com/2008/08/qlikview-command-line-and-automation.html. Then use Windows scheduler to set up when the batch file will run and make sure you don't run it during your "problem" hours.

Good luck,

View solution in original post

7 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Thilo,

When you set up the hourly trigger from QEMC, there is an option "Run Only Between." If you check this checkbox and enter the hours here, you'll get the functionality you require.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hello Vlad,

be patient with the blind ... Cool...

I can see no Run Between on the Documents Reload page. (QV9 SR2)

I can see a 'Between' in the Preload Options ... but that's Preload... which I thought has a complete different meaning ...

??? Confused
Thilo

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Thilo,

See the following picture for an illustration of this setting:

Regards

Not applicable
Author

Vlad,

I can see ...

BUT: Unfortunately the more relevant part can be seen in the background.
I do not use Publisher (oops, I forgot to mention, sorry), so the Source Doc Tab is not available to me.
I just have User Documents.... and here I have no Triggers.

Is there a way w/out Publisher?

... at least my blindness is cured ...
Thilo

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Thilo,

In that case, I think your best bet is to use a command line reload. If you are not familiar with how this is done, see this page: http://qlikviewmaven.blogspot.com/2008/08/qlikview-command-line-and-automation.html. Then use Windows scheduler to set up when the batch file will run and make sure you don't run it during your "problem" hours.

Good luck,

Not applicable
Author

Vlad,

thanks for your help (again).

I thought about the batch before, but as I have more than one doc with different schedules, I would end up with a number of batches.

So I can decide between annoying emails, or annoying admin tasks where I have to remember which batch resolves which QV missing feature 😉

Thanks anyways,
Thilo

etay_netintent
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Thilo

Hi there.

we have been using batch reloads for 7 years now (The publisher reload functionality was not freely available) and have a pretty good experience with it.

Keep in mind the following - There are more sophisticated actions you can do via Bat files.

For example - check for the availability of a file before loading, Run a loading loop, copy files etc.

on the other hand you are dependent on the windows scheduling tool that has occupational "hiccups", and we have been forced to use external scheduling tools on occation.

Managing a number of batch file isn't that much of a pain - we have many sites with multiple batch files.

Good Luck

Etay Elazar