Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

'Retrieving the COM class factory' error

I've written a VB.NET (2010) desktop application that will allow a user to either open an existing QlikView document and refresh its data or create a new QlikView document (both in the QlikView application via the Interop.QlikView.dll). 

This is the code:

Dim strReportPath As String = "myTest.qvw"

Dim myQV As New QlikView.Document

If Not File.Exists(strReportPath) Then

Dim myApp As New QlikView.Application

myQV = myApp.CreateDoc()

Dim myProps As QlikView.IDocumentProperties = myQV.GetProperties

myProps.Script = myProps.Script & strLoadScript

myQV.SetProperties(myProps)

myQV.SaveAs(strReportPath)

myQV.CloseDoc()

End If

myQV = GetObject(strReportPath)

myQV.Reload()

This code works like a charm on my machine.  I have installed it and cannot duplicate the error.  However, when I install it on another machine for testing (via a standard .NET installer), I recieve the 'Retrieving the COM class factory..' error.  Both machines are running the 32-bit version of the Personal Edition 11.0.11440.0 SR2.  I have tried copying the Interop.QlikView.dll locally and even registering it.  Nothing has worked.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  What am I missing?

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

What is the CPU affinity (or target CPU platform) for you application? 

Try changing the CPU target to 32bit and rebuild.

Not applicable
Author

Everything is setup for x86 (32-bit).

Not applicable
Author

Sorry, I've not seen this error in this context, so just suggesting an idea.

If the Test machine is running the same flavor of OS (x86 or x64) as your Development machine, and both have identical QV desktop/OCX installs, then my suggestions run dry. 

Not applicable
Author

When I try to manually register the Interop.QlikView.dll, I get the following message:

The module "C:\Interop.QlikView.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. make sure that C:\Interop.QlikView.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again

Not applicable
Author

That suggests that Interop.QlikView.dll does not have a RegisterServer method.  So I'd try just copying to your application folder (or to C:\Windows\System32 if x86 OS, or to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 if x64 OS).

Is the Interop.QlikView.dll an assembly created from the QlikView.OCX file?  Have you tried using RegAsm to regsiter this (if this is a .NET assembly)?  On your development machine, the registration would have been done for you by your VS.net installation.  But you may need to register the assembly on the other machine.

Not applicable
Author

Donald - I tried both.  Unfortunately, neither worked.  RegAsm gives the exact same error as regsvr32.  The Interop.QlikView.dll is generated when you add a reference to Qv.exe in your Project Properties References tab.

Not applicable
Author

Do you have a file IEShims.dll in C:\Programs Files\Internet Explorer?

And is C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer in your PATH?

Playing around with Dependency Walker on Interop.QlikView.dll and this appears suspect.