Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
georgina_spary
Contributor II
Contributor II

Scheduled reload works, manual reload fails

Hi - I hope someone can help me

I have 2 dashboards on the server: both reload manually successfully, and one reloads automatically (scheduled) but the other scheduled load fails. They both connect to the ODBC connection using the same username. The successful one is scheduled _after_ the failed one so it can't be interfering with it. I can't think what's going on. Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Sounds like the setup is incorrect for the userid doing the scheduled reload. Is the ODBC DSN defined as a User DSN or a System DSN? It should be a System DSN to be available to all on the machine.

Try logging on to the server using the same userid as the scheduled reload. Do a manual reload and see if you can get more on the error. Also look at the Windows event log - Application log - for Popups that may have been sent to the Scheduled reload.

-Rob

View solution in original post

9 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Check the document log to find the specific reason for the failure.

-Rob

georgina_spary
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I know this sounds stupid but I can't find the document log, I have looked, do you know where it will be & what it is called?

georgina_spary
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Aha, sorry to be slow, I had got the right logging folder (it is the default,  C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QVS), but I hadn't enabled event logging. I will set of another scheduled reload this time with some logging.

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

I guess Rob meant the log file generated by the file reload (even for manual reload).

For this one, on QV Desktop go to Settings -> Document Properties -> General Tab - > check the 'generate log file' box

After reload, a file with the same name of the qvw will be generate in the same folder as the qvw with the extension QVW

so if you have the qvw:

C:\Apps\Test.Qvw

the log file will be:

C:\Apps\Test.log

Sometimes windows will just hide the extension and change the icon to a text file icon, just look for something like this.

Reading this log we can understand why it fails on a manual reload

Hope it helps,

Erich

georgina_spary
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Erich that is incredibly helpful I really should have found that out at the start. I've read through the log and got some useful pointers, I think it's a permissions issue

George

georgina_spary
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Right. I've worked out that it's the ODBC connection to the Oracle db - on manual reload it recognises the connection but on scheduled load (or even clicking Reload Now via the QEMC) you get "Error: SQL Error:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified"

Any helpful thoughts anyone?

georgina_spary
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Oh and for reference, the other dashboard uses the same ODBC connection string successfully in scheduled loads, so I think it can't be a firewall issue, must be something to do with the document?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Sounds like the setup is incorrect for the userid doing the scheduled reload. Is the ODBC DSN defined as a User DSN or a System DSN? It should be a System DSN to be available to all on the machine.

Try logging on to the server using the same userid as the scheduled reload. Do a manual reload and see if you can get more on the error. Also look at the Windows event log - Application log - for Popups that may have been sent to the Scheduled reload.

-Rob

georgina_spary
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Rob - I've been doing a bit more research and I think that's it. I will get the appropriate System DSNs set up. I much appreciate your help

George