Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Scheduling data extraction

If I would like to perform data extraction in batch mode during off-peak period of network, I guess I have to schedule a script with LOAD statement and store it in .qvd files . I understand depending on datasource ( DB or Excel file) LOAD statement will vary. But how to schedule and invoke the script to perform data extraction ?

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi.

In order to execute the .qvw file which will create the new and refreshed qvd's you can create a batch file in which you'll type something like this:

C:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe" /r "D:\Reports\Qvd_Creator.qvw"

Then you can schedule the batch file using the scheduled tasks.

Just remember that after creating the new and refreshed qvd's you have to reload them as well, so add them to the batch file as well.

Regards,

Montal.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

If u r using Qv server then there is a reload tab inside the user document tab,U can schedule your qvw from there or u can write a batch file by giving exe path for the Qv

"C:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe" /r "D:\Test.qvw"

Write this code in a notepad by using .bat ext. or

u can directly schedule a qlikview document by going to the setting Menu-->Document Properties-->Scheduler.

Not applicable
Author

Hi All,

Is it is possible to schedule the reload using batch file in hourly/daily basis?

I think as per your post it is possible to reload on daily basis. But how about on hourly basis? Is it possible to do so?

Also one more doubt is that I am pulling the data from 3 different database. In this case I want to reload the data using the following criteria.

1. In first database reload should happen on daily basis.

2. In second database reload should happen on hourly basis.

3. In third database reload should happen on every 15 mins.

Please let me know whether it is possible to do the same using the windows scheduled task.

Not applicable
Author

Yes it is possible.

Go to window scheduler properties -->Scheduler -->Advanced & u can configure it as per your need.

Not applicable
Author

Yes it is possible. Go to window scheduler properties -->Scheduler -->Advanced & u can configure it as per your need, provided the script for loading hourly/daily/weekly data should be written in separate qvw other wise u need to have some flag so that daily script should not exec with hourly.....(if all script are in the same qvw)

Not applicable
Author

Hi

In my case script is in same qvw and it contains huge data. So it will be pointless if reloaded all the data again and again. So I think its better to do incremental reload. Do you have any suggestion for this? Please guide me if you can

sunil2288
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Rikab,

How r U? Hope everything going well with you.

Here U should go for incremental load.

Actually qlikview mainly do the analysis for sales and Finance purpose which is typically starting from the daywise . And a very little no of customers like Sensex do need hourly or even minute basis report which should be dyanmically reloaded every time.

if your purpose is to have a clear analysis on hourly basis u should rather do incremental load it will take comparetively little time to load than whole datamodel again.

Regards

Sunil

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunil,

I am good, Thanks! How about you?

Many thanks for your reply. But tell me how to do incremental load if I don't have much knowledge with the tables I am working on as I am new to this work. What I mean to say is if I don't know PK of the table and also it doesn't have the modified date field. In this case on what basis I will do the incremental load.

But imagine if the year field is there with us. Let me know how it can be done?

sunil2288
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Rikab,

Let me know which data do u have for an hourly basis calculation ..It need to have a field having time stamp. Rather how can u do the analysis on hourly basis unless and otherwise if u don't have houlry data(Timesatmp).

Regards

Sunil