Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Scheduling of documents // "On event of other task" AND/OR "dependency"?

Hello,

I have a question related to the scheduling of QlikView documents in the Q(E)MC, more specific on dependencies between documents.

Here I go:  What is the difference between

• On event of another task > Succesful > "Document A"
  • Dependency > "Document A"

Is there even a distance? should both be used together in particular situations? Does one option override the other when both are configured?

The goal is i.e. launch "Document B" once "Document A" is finished.

Dependency.png

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Maarten

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Maarten,

"On event of another task" will trigger the reload just after the specified successes or fails, not specifying time.

However, "Dependency" adds a new condition on when an already scheduled task has to be performed.

Say you have a file reload scheduled at 0500. "Dependency" will check if the task specified successed, if so the reload will start at 0500 as scheduled, otherwise, it won't execute. But the reload will start at 0500, not when the specified dependent task fails or successes.

Of course, both can be used at the same time, so when reloading Document1 successes, Document2 is reloaded (On event of another task) only if Document3 failed (Dependency).

Hope that helps.

Miguel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Maarten,

"On event of another task" will trigger the reload just after the specified successes or fails, not specifying time.

However, "Dependency" adds a new condition on when an already scheduled task has to be performed.

Say you have a file reload scheduled at 0500. "Dependency" will check if the task specified successed, if so the reload will start at 0500 as scheduled, otherwise, it won't execute. But the reload will start at 0500, not when the specified dependent task fails or successes.

Of course, both can be used at the same time, so when reloading Document1 successes, Document2 is reloaded (On event of another task) only if Document3 failed (Dependency).

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Miguel, that seems pretty clear.

I'll play arround with those scenario to put it in practice!

Kind regards,

Maarten

shayraber
Creator
Creator

Hi Miguel,

lets say that I have a flow of tasks one after another.

one of the tasks should be carried out only after reloading (either success or failure) of two preceding QVWs.

up until now, my flow were triggered without using the "Dependencies" section but now i need the task to be reloaded after reload of task 1 AND task 2. how it should be done?

Thanks

Shay

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Miguel,

I'm curious about this statement:

"Of course, both can be used at the same time, so when reloading Document1 successes, Document2 is reloaded (On event of another task) only if Document3 failed (Dependency)."

In the QMC for Publisher, I don't see any way to set a dependency for a document failing. It appears that the way a dependency works is that when the task is triggered, it checks to see if any of the "dependency" docs have *ever* succeeded - Even if they are currently reloading, the task with the dependency still starts its load. In the case that the load the dependency is based on fails, the task that contains the dependency will also fail, with a "-" as the Duration.

Sadly, this seems to be of limited usefulness, unless you want a task to wait for a specific time rather than loading immediately upon completion of another task. Otherwise, you can just set appropriate triggers instead of using dependencies.