Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajaykumar1
Creator III
Creator III

Section Access in script level or Qlikview publisher level

Hi Everyone,

As per my understanding section access we can implement in both script level and also at qlikview publisher level.

If i have the most of the Named cal licenses then Which is the best option to develop the section access whether at script level or at publisher level and why?

Currently am implementing the section access Source Documents---Distribute Option.

Thanks for your guidance.

Ajay

5 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I don't really understand what you mean by "implement in both script level and also at publisher level".There are differences between the two.

Access on its own can be controlled by the publisher without sction access, just by distributing a document to Named Users.

Data reduction (another feature of section access) is most flexible if done in a single document and using section access. But you can let section access and publisher play together for more complex set-ups or in case your Server environment is under stress (Loop & Reduce).

One of the most appealing features is to define section access data tables in the QMC. You won't need any excel or DB table to define who gets access to which document, and you'll still be able to use section access in your script to control data reduction. QMC becomes the main configuration tool for granting all sorts of permissions to a document.

Peter

ajaykumar1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks Peter. Let me explain a bit more.

Whatever the function i get for section access by writing the script in script level..Those all features i can do at QMC-Distribution level also...I guess.

Then why i need to write script in script level instead of publisher?

Is there any extra features with writing of section logic in script level?

Thanks,

AJay

buzzy996
Master II
Master II

section access specially used for data reduction by implementing in script.

the extra features are here,u can implement the same section access on multiple ways fpr exp:

1.row level data based on uesrs log in

2.column level data based on uesrs log in

3.sheet level access

..etc

it wont possible through publisher directly all these options of data reductions.

ajaykumar1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks Shiva for your explanation.

I think we can do the data reduction in QMC publisher level also.

Source Documents---Select any one of the application----Reduce---Open Document

Then do the Data Reduction like select fields and selct values.

Correct me if am wrong.

So i want to know the difference between both these approaches and if in case of extra benfit in any of them.

Thanks,

Ajay

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The difference is that when using section access in your script, you can make the accesspoint reduce a document based on who is trying to open that document at that particular moment. Data reduction happens at document-open-time. This is extremely flexible and dynamic.

Data reduction in the publisher is fixed and done at reload time only. Meaning that you create one or more versions of the same document that atre reduced already before someone even tries to open the document.

Also, if you are assigning Document CALs to grant access to those different users, you will have to assign those CALs to a single document only if you use solution no 1 (section access in script) instead of multiple documents if you use solution no 2 (publisher reduction).

But the many features and possible combinations make it difficult to explain what is a "best" solution. You need to evaluate that for yourself while taking into account the different requirements that your users and Qlikview porjects put forward.

Best,

Peter