Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulm
Contributor III
Contributor III

Shared Objects - Bookmarks

Hi,

I have an issue with a shared file being 200MB and it is affecting performance.  After having a look into it with power tools I was able to see which users had the most bookmarks - and then I would do a tidy etc.  One user has 149 BM IDs but when logging in as this user they only have one bookmark associated with them.  From reading the reference manual I thought each BM ID matched a single bookmark?  Is there a way to tell who has the most bookmarks?

Also is there a way to do a bulk delete? We have a lot of users who are no longer active that might have created a few, I would like to be able to remove in a single transaction if possible.

Thanks

Paul

10 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Paul,

You can use the QlikView Power Tools Server Object Handler to check who has the highest number of IDs, and even change ownership of some of them.

When I've found .Shared files of that size, performance has been degraded severely. As it is no way to remove objects from the file, and all shared objects (not only bookmarks) are stored there, I'd check if it's worth removing the whole file without affecting users.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can remove objects from the file using QMC or power tools. This has to be followed by a defrag using power tools to release unused space and make the file actually smaller.

Rob

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Rob,

That's the idea. But I have been unable to do so with files of that size. Did you achieve reducing space and improving performance? I may be missing something...

Thanks!

Miguel

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

There are issues with the defrag in the power tools. Make sure you have a backup copy of the .share file.  The Defrag tool as cause the .share file to be corrupted.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
paulm
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

HI Guys,

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge. 

Got a couple of questions from this, if you could help!

1. Miguel you said find the person with the largest number of IDs.  - When doing this I found one user with over 150 IDs but they only have one bookmark.  Could there potentially be a bug that created more or is this right functionality?

2. I have used the power tools to extract and also allowing me to analyse within QlikView.  Ideally I would like this extract I have created, to cross referenence a list of "active" customers, so I can then regenerate a new .shared file with only active customers.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Paul

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Paul,

If you have session recovery enabled in the QMC, System, Setup, QlikView Servers, Documents, Allow Session Recovery, this will create a new bookmark each time a new user logs in the AccessPoint with their state of selections, tab, chart size and so. If these users do not create bookmarks on their own, or objects, it's quite possible they have only the bookmark that corresponds to their session recovery.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

paulm
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Miguel,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I do have session recovery enabled, with 99% of our users using AJAX - that could explain a lot.

Would the user not only need one bookmark per recovery session though? Rather than the 150+ that have appeared for user I am looking at.  If it is creating a new one everytime, would that then be a bug?

Any ideas how to pick out proper bookmarks, and session recovery bookmarks? Deleting the whole file is really not an option.

The shared file we have has been active for 9SR4, 10SR3.

Thanks

Paul

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Paul,

Actually that could be a bug. The reason of session recovery is that the bookmark BM01 is always used by the same user, otherwise, the Session Recovery would not work (the user keeps his state session after session, a new bookmark would return everything like if it was open for the first time). But as you have upgraded your server from version 9 to 10, that could have "reset" the bookmark counter and start all over again.

A bookmark is always a bookmark, and as far as I know, there is no way to identify which one has been created for session recovery purposes and which one was created by the user to keep track of their info. Well, if a bookmark is shared, then this has been created by the user and not the system. But you have to manually specify when you create a bookmark that it will be shared, meaning that I can use 20 bookmarks for myself, without sharing it, and the session recovery one, all 21 will be seen as mine.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel

paulm
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

HI Miguel,

Is there anything I can do now to reduce this size? Without being able to understand who created the bookmark I am struggling to see what can be done.

Should I now turn off system recovery to help prevent the size from growing?

Thanks

Paul