Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Some starter questions regarding pricing / licence and capabilities

Hello Qlik-Community,

i would like to ask some questions about pricing, licence and capabilities - I would appreciate any answeres:

1. The Small-Enterprice-Edition (SME) can be accessed via a Web-Browser ( I read a plugin is needed for IE). Does it matter from where the Qlik-Site is accessed (as long as the log in information is correct (25 users)) or is this limited to 25 physical computers instead of 25 users?

2. I read the SME costs 6500 Euro. I guess an actual server is not included within this cost (its just the software). Since Qlikview seems to consume a lot of RAM, what do you guys think should be invested into a well performing server? Or are there even any specific suggestions? ((We work with moderately big data))

3. At one place i read LDAP authentification for SME is possible, at another source i read it is not possible. So - can you guys help clear this up for me?

4. Is it possible to grant rights or create roles? For instance a user of the role manager should see more content than a user of the role standarduser. Is this included?

5. Is it possible to encrypt columns (eg. MD5 /SHA2)? Any chance of mixing this up with the user permissions? For instance a manager should be able to see the names of other users in cleartext, while other users only see the encrypted MD5 oder SHA2 string.

6. Any other reason to take an Enterpsie Edition over the SME if generally 25 users would be enough?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi

1. The Small-Enterprice-Edition (SME) can be accessed via a Web-Browser ( I read a plugin is needed for IE). Does it matter from where the Qlik-Site is accessed (as long as the log in information is correct (25 users)) or is this limited to 25 physical computers instead of 25 users?

Hi,

Plugin is required in case you need to view it on IE, You can avoid it Qlik has Ajax ZFC client that does not requires you to install plugin.

The limitation here for SBE is it supports 25 Named cal and 100 Doc Cals.

Have a look at attached document for more info on server types.

2. I read the SME costs 6500 Euro. I guess an actual server is not included within this cost (its just the software). Since Qlikview seems to consume a lot of RAM, what do you guys think should be invested into a well performing server? Or are there even any specific suggestions? ((We work with moderately big data))

This thing will completely depends on Data volumes you have.

It depends on several other factors as well Like no of users accessing application Design complexities and e.t.c

There are several documents available on community that demonstrate how to size your server.

3. At one place i read LDAP authentification for SME is possible, at another source i read it is not possible. So - can you guys help clear this up for me?

With SBE the only security you have is NTFS/Active directory.

SBE does not supports LDAP integration.

Enterprise level Integrations are only possible with Qlik Enterprise Editions only.

4. Is it possible to grant rights or create roles? For instance a user of the role manager should see more content than a user of the role standarduser. Is this included?

Yes, You can hide sheets/ Tabs based on user logged in.

5. Is it possible to encrypt columns (eg. MD5 /SHA2)? Any chance of mixing this up with the user permissions? For instance a manager should be able to see the names of other users in cleartext, while other users only see the encrypted MD5 oder SHA2 string.

You can encrypt data but it will be encrypted for all.

I don't think you can have partial encryption.

6. Any other reason to take an Enterprise Edition over the SME if generally 25 users would be enough?

I believe this is answered above and attach document will help you regarding the same.

Hope it helps

Regards

ASHFAQ

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi

Hi,

Plugin is required in case you need to view it on IE, You can avoid it Qlik has Ajax ZFC client that does not requires you to install plugin.

The limitation here for SBE is it supports 25 Named cal and 100 Doc Cals.

Have a look at attached document for more info on server types.

This thing will completely depends on Data volumes you have.

It depends on several other factors as well Like no of users accessing application Design complexities and e.t.c

There are several documents available on community that demonstrate how to size your server.

With SBE the only security you have is NTFS/Active directory.

SBE does not supports LDAP integration.

Enterprise level Integrations are only possible with Qlik Enterprise Editions only.

Yes, You can hide sheets/ Tabs based on user logged in.

You can encrypt data but it will be encrypted for all.

I don't think you can have partial encryption.

6. Any other reason to take an Enterprise Edition over the SME if generally 25 users would be enough?

I believe this is answered above and attach document will help you regarding the same.

Hope it helps

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Great answer,

i really apreciate this. Thanks a lot!

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

If it answer can you close thread by marking appropriate answers.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Colin-Albert

Regards encrypting columns for some users, there a several ways to achieve this

You can load the data twice, one a plain text field and again using a hash function to pseudo encrypt the data. Then section access can exclude the plain text data from those who do not have permission to view it.

Alternatively you can just use section access to omit the data field for the users who do not have permission.

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

thanks a lot for your reply. I was thinking about a similar approach. As long as encryption can be implemented (which as i learned is the case) it will basically be usable for us, since we can just create duplicate tables / documents / columns.