Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Split QV document by field value and distribute it to folder

Hi there,

I'm trying to split my QV document by the values of one field. That means it should create a new document containing only figures related to one value of that field. Then do it again for the next value of the field. Every new document should be distributed to another folder.

E.g. I have field company containing value A and B. Now QV should create one QVW document only for figures of company A and store it to subfolder A and another QVW document for company B and store it to subfolder B.

I played around with the Reload, Reduce and Distribute tabs in the task window of QMC trying to use what I found in help, but it doesn't work. Could anyone explain to me how this can be solved?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

After an upgrade to QV10 SR5 it works.

The only thing that doesn't work now is the NTFS security settings of the new documents. User rights to the files are not copied from the folder they are stored to.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

No one? Any idea, help or link appreciated.

Not applicable
Author

Really no one ever used that built-in Loop and Reduce functionality?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Make sure that your document naming field generates a new document name for every instance of the reduced document so it doesn't overwrite itself when looping to the target directory.

Not applicable
Author

For sure. I use %DocumentField,<MyFieldname>% as part of the document name to get seperate documents. But it neither reduce to a certain value nor split the document. The document just gets reloaded contain all data.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

The "default" task should be, in the QMC, Documents tab, Source Documents, Reduce tab in the task, Reduce and Loop and the field from the dropdown list once you have clicked open document button. Then Distribute it manually to any folder that the services running account have permissions.

That should be all, and that's how I have some tasks working.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

That's what I did. But it only reloads the source document. No split, no reduce, no new document.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

What do the logs say? Can you upload one log from a failed task here so we can move on? I mean, it's quite straightforward process, even creating a task that does not reload but only reduces and distributes (to save time) and that should work as well.

Does that happen with all documents?

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

The task does not really fail. I don't get any error message. It just reloads the whole document. As I said, no split, no reduce, no new document.

That's the only document I want to handle like this. All other are just simple reloads.

I already tried to use QEMC -> Documents -> Source Documents -> Reduce tab of the task -> Simple Reduce and set the filter to a certain value of that field. But that doesn't work either. It also just reloads the whole document.

Also tried to delete the task from source document and set it up again from scratch. Doesn't work.

Not applicable
Author

After an upgrade to QV10 SR5 it works.

The only thing that doesn't work now is the NTFS security settings of the new documents. User rights to the files are not copied from the folder they are stored to.