Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Take Ownership of Collaborated Objects

I have users who want to create objects in a controlled "ad-hoc" environment through Open In Server. When I sign onto the server and go into the QSMC, I can take ownership of the object. But when i open a client to view the object, I don't see it.

Does anyone have an idea on why this might be, or ways to capture the properties of the objects that my end users are creating? (we're running version 8.5)

Thanks, Rob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I just built a collaborative object on the production server, then copy/pasted it into the development copy, no problem. While I didn't check, I suspect that if someone else builds a collaborative object and then shares it, I could do the same thing. So based on my limited understanding, I'd think this was merely a problem of access to the collaborative object, not a situation where it is simply impossible to copy collaborative objects to the real application. If I'm right, one solution would be to have the user share the object.

But maybe I'm still not understanding.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Rob,

When you take ownership of a user-created object, it's permanent--the user that created the object will no longer have access to it. Can you elaborate on what you want to accomplish, and what you mean by capturing the object properties?

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Sure. Let me try to explain our environment. We have a production server...completely locked down. We also have an External environment for our customers to log in and see their data..again, completely locked down. We are in the beginning phases of developing an "AD-HOC" environment so users can tweak production objects, without impacting the production environment.

If a user creates a new chart, and the object has a lot of value for his department, we may want to implement that chart into the production enviroment. That way our external users can access it, it's on a more consistent reload pattern, and it will be a part of the permanent Production objects. So I would like to log onto the Ad-Hoc server and take ownership of that object and promote it to the production server.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I haven't actually done this, but I'd have thought this was as easy as cut and paste. Cut from the ad-hoc application and paste into your development application. Then install as you would any other change to the development application.

Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately it's not, because I didn't create the object, therefore I can't see it or any properties associated with it. I can only see that it exists through the console and the owner is the business user. According to the Server Documentation,

DMS Server Collaboration Objects Page
This page allows you to manage server collaboration objects by document.
Click on the checkbox next to the object ID to select that object for management.
The Take Ownership button may be used to take ownership of the
object in order to view/change object properties. Access to object properties
is through an appropriate client. Use this option with care, since ownership
cannot be given back to the original owner of the object once this is initiated.
Use the Remove button to delete the selected objects. The Close button may
be used when the Management Console is opened in a web browser to close

In theory, this approach would be sufficient for what I need to accomplish since I could then recreate the object in the Production environment. Unfortunately after I take control, I don't see the object anywhere, but I do have ownership.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Rob,

I think I understand what you're trying to do now. It's a great idea, but unfortunately I don't think it's possible. Collaboration Objects reside in the .SHARED file that is associated with the QVW file, and are not in the QVW file itself. As a result, it's not possible to move an object from shared into the main file even if you take ownership of the object. This sounds like a great feature to suggest to Qliktech for future releases though.

The only way I can think of to do what you require is to have users lease a license from your Ad-Hoc server and modify the file on QlikView Desktop (Open, not Open in Server). In response to John's post, I don't think copy-pasting will work either.

Regards,

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I just built a collaborative object on the production server, then copy/pasted it into the development copy, no problem. While I didn't check, I suspect that if someone else builds a collaborative object and then shares it, I could do the same thing. So based on my limited understanding, I'd think this was merely a problem of access to the collaborative object, not a situation where it is simply impossible to copy collaborative objects to the real application. If I'm right, one solution would be to have the user share the object.

But maybe I'm still not understanding.

Not applicable
Author

Vlad, thanks for the responses.

Yeah, the move from the .SHARED file to the .QVW would be an awesome enhancement and make administration 10x better (well..maybe 10's an over-exageration). But what about the server documentation that says "The Take Ownership button may be used to take ownership of the object in order to view/change object properties."

If I could access to the properties, it wouldn't take much to recreate the object until this new "transfer" from shared to qvw was developed. I gotta believe that this is what is intended by the way they worded the documentation.

I REALLY appreciate the responses and effort here.

prieper
Master II
Master II

As to my experience, the trick is - as John mentioned - to share the object and then copy / paste

Peter

Not applicable
Author

But John, did you create the object and then use a different user id to copy and paste it onto you're other environment? Also, I'm assuming you're accessing the document through the "Open in Server" option.

Thanks so much John.