Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bennywoo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Test Server License transfer

I have a QV testing Server with the active QV test license key, if i have a new server, how can I transfer the license key from the old server to the new server ? 

Do I simply click the "Clear License" button from the Old server and then apply license to the new server ?

or stop the QV Service from the Old server and then apply the license to the new server and start the QV service ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

1. Yes. Follow the instructions from the Migration document. It contains an entire chapter about server-to-server migration.
  2. Yes. Everything is included in what is commonly called the QVPR. It has all configuration settings and all task definitions and more. You can find the QVPR on your QlikView server in folder C:\PRogramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

That depends on what you want to do with the old server. Is it being decomissioned? Then simply shut down/uninstall the services and install the license on the new server. Or first Clear the license, but that is not really necessary.

Is the old server becoming the new production server? Then install the new license on the old test server, and install the test license on the new test server.

Never run two QlikView installations using the same license in parallel.

Peter

bennywoo
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Peter,

Does it mean I don't need modify those config xml or ini files in the new server which is mentioned in the section "Migration to a New Machine" in the

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/12.0/Subsystems/Server/Content/QlikView%20Server/QVSRM_Upgrade....

Benny

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well, your OP just talked about transferring the license, and to do that you don't have to change any other file.

However, your original Test server may carry a customised configuration. Do you need to transfer that as well, or is it just the license you are worried about?

Best,

Peter

bennywoo
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Peter,

In the test server, I concern the license only.

But if the same scenario happens in Production which I need to includes the configuration from Old production server to New production server, then I need to modify those config xml or ini files, right ? 

do the config files include those setting such as tasks schedule, paths setup ... that i set in the QMC ?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

1. Yes. Follow the instructions from the Migration document. It contains an entire chapter about server-to-server migration.
  2. Yes. Everything is included in what is commonly called the QVPR. It has all configuration settings and all task definitions and more. You can find the QVPR on your QlikView server in folder C:\PRogramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR

Best,

Peter

bennywoo
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Peter, thanks a lot for your prompt answers. 

Benny