Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Tunneling questions

Hello qlikview gurus,

I have some questions regarding the use of tunneling (we are using IE plugin).

First of all I would like to know which service is in charge of doing tunneling process. I mean, you connect to qlikview webserver using port 80 and then this service connects to qlikview server throught port 4774 (not 4747) using qvpt, right? So if we are to have these two services separeted, we would like to know if qlikview webserver has to have enough hardware resources to perform the tunneling fast, or does qlikview server perform tunneling and webserver acts as a simple proxy?

The second one is that we want to set up a clustering environment, with two qv webservers in two separate servers in front of two qv servers. This config works well in ajax(tested). So if we don't use tunneling, that is use port 4747 directly, how the load balancing policy is applied if you connect directly to the server? And thus you have to connect to one of qv servers direclty so the 4747 port is to be opened on both servers, right?

The last one is that we have two more qv environments, one for development and another for demo purposes. The performance using plugin with tunneling in dev is almost as good as it is with ajax. But in demo env. performance in ajax is very good but with plugin is very bad, you have to wait some minutes to show anything on screen. Dev is a physical server and demo is a virtual one. Is it all due to the fact that demo is virtual? I think I have checked all the settings without improving anything in demo perfomance, is there anything I can do to improve it?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

1- Webserver performs Tunneling. You should consider using IIS as a webserver if you're having performance issues with QlikView Webserver.

2- If you're accessing a server directly then there is no load balancing involved. The load balance strategy is applied by the Accesspoint, so it's not involved when accessing a server directly.

3- Using Tunneling has an important negative impact in performance. You should really try to get port 4747 open if you're going to use IE Plugin, Ajax is a good option if you can't.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply Daniel,

so as I understand, if we have to have a cluster (load balancing), tunneling have to be used to use the webservers in order to load balance the requests, right?

and

do you think IIS will really improve the performance?

B.R.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

No, you don't need to have tunneling in place, you need to have your users access the accesspoint to open the applications instead of using a direct link to one of the servers.

I haven't seen any differences in performance between IIS and QVWS, someone in QlikTech once told me that they use IIS for bigger customers. I would go with QVWS and turn to IIS if you notice any performance issues with it.

Not applicable
Author

No, you don't need to have tunneling in place, you need to have your users access the accesspoint to open the applications instead of using a direct link to one of the servers.

So, users access the accesspoint without problems, there they can click on different applications(docs) and open them either by using ajax or plugin. If they choose plugin the first call is always tunneled (I think), even though 4747 port in the server is opened.

Accesspoint takes me to that address:

/QvAJAXZfc/AccessPoint.aspx?open=&id=QVS@arti-p80-qv%7C1/dashboard.qvw&client=Plugin

which in the html code it returns and using and iframe opens a new web:

/QvPlugin/opendoc.htm?document=1/dashboard.qvw&ticket=9C88DCD256EC35B2EEE18E3B19718E8A923E831B&host=arti-p80-qv&tunneler=/scripts/QVSTunnel.dll%3Fhost%3Darti-p80-qv

which inside and after some frames has an embed object (plugin) poiting to:

qvp://arti-p80-qv/1/dashboard.qvw?iis_authenticate=9C88DCD256EC35B2EEE18E3B19718E8A923E831B&tunneler=http%3A//localhost%3A8080/scripts/QVSTunnel.dll%3Fhost%3Darti-p80-qv

(This sample call is taken from a localhost request.)

That means that tunneling is used, right?

And regarding the clustering:

I hope that when we have the cluster set up, accesspoint will spread the documents among the servers of the cluster. If we have for example 3 servers, all 3 qlikview servers have to be exposed direclty to internet with port 4747 opened?

If we were to want to have a one point of entrance for our solution, tunneling is mandatory?

Thanks in advance. You are really helping me.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Tunneling has nothing to do with clustering.

Every time you open an application using IE Plugin it will try to access it throgh port 4747, if it fails establishing the connection it will try to use port 80.

If you wan't to avoid tunneling, and get a better performance, then yes, all three servers would need port 4747 open and exposed to the internet.

It's just a port, tunneling doesn't make it any more/less secure than port 80 but you should consider using HTTPS to establish the connection to the AP.