Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Tunneling setup - QV11 server on separate box than IIS7

We are trying to test tunneling with QV11 and IIS7. My environment is 2 separate machines currently on the same network both running windows 2008R2. I have setup firewall rules to allow ports 80, 4750 (QV setting service) and configured tunneling in IIS7. I can test the setup as described in the tunnel setup guide and I do get the expected results. When I attempt to access a document directly using qvp://QVSServer/Doc.qvw the document fails to open. When I use access point it cannot produce a list of documents producing a "So Server" message. The minute I open up port 4747 on my QV server all works well. Has anyone had any luck with tunneling? I thought that if you used tunneling only port 80 will need to be opened?

I solved my issue. I did not have the QWS installed on my QlikView Server. Something had to be listening on port 80 !. Once I did that tunneling worked, the Client Errorlog shows:

2012-07-27 13:28:46 Warning Connect ClientServerSupport.cpp 2727 Server did not respond inside timeout: "" 0

2012-07-27 13:29:11 Info Connect QVDoc.cpp 4221 Switching to HTTP tunneling 0

2012-07-27 13:29:11 Info Connect QVDoc.cpp 4253 Trying Http tunneled connection 0

2012-07-27 13:29:11 Info Connect ClientServerSupport.cpp 2678 Negotiating string: "<?xml version="1.0"?><prot>qvp<dpi wanted="false">96 96</dpi><authenticate wanted="true"/><encrypted wanted="true" algorithm="aes"/><gzip/><balanced/><build>11282</build><machine_id>WEBSVR [9B4F1942-8484-4385-6522-DB8A30B89F62]</machine_id><any_username>WEBSVR\Administrator</any_username></prot>" 0

2012-07-27 13:29:11 Info Connect ClientServerSupport.cpp 2779 Server negotiation string: "<?xml version="1.0"?><prot>qvp<authenticate principal="QVSERVER$@" domain=""/><encrypted algorithm="aes"/><gzip/><balanced/><license_needed/><build>11282</build><session>{7420A8AC-120E-4A6D-923F-76233648AAFD}</session></prot>" 0

2012-07-27 13:29:11 Info Connect ClientServerSupport.cpp 2779 Server negotiation string: "<?xml version="1.0"?><eof/>" 0

2012-07-27 13:29:11 Info Connect ClientServerSupport.cpp 2856 Initiating authentication 0

2012-07-27 13:29:12 Info Connect ClientServerSupport.cpp 2903 Authentication packet arrived 0

2012-07-27 13:29:12 Info Connect ClientServerSupport.cpp 2903 Authentication packet arrived 0

2012-07-27 13:29:12 Info Connect ClientServerSupport.cpp 2932 Secure (crypto) packet arrived 0

2012-07-27 13:29:12 Info Connect ClientServerSupport.cpp 2955 Session established OK 0

11 Replies
pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

The port 80 is the only one open in the Qlikview Server ?

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Sorry, I didn't get what services are running and what ports are open in each machine.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Have to have port 4747 open between IIS and the server running QVS. IIS talkes to QVS on this port to get the information like the document list.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

We were testing tunneling for situations where port 4747 was blocked. In our case installing IIS7 QlikView tunneling required the QVWS service to be installed on the QVS machine (separate from IIS7)

On the QVS machine I had ports 80 (QVWS) and 4750 (Settings service) open. Port 4747 was blocked and that is when tunneling kicked in (I had installed QV Tunnel on the IIS7 Server)

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

You block 4747 from the outside, but for the IIS server to talk to the QVS server you will have to open port 4747 between them. The QVP protocol only runs on 4747. That is why when you go to the accesspoint you see no documents.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi All,

I recently deployed an environment with 2 servers with the following component on each one:

Server 1 -  Qlikview Server Service, Qlikview Management Console Service, Qlikview Directory Service, Qlikview Distribution Service

Server 2 - IIS7 , Qlikview Service Settings, Qlikview Management Console Service.

Both servers are behind an internal firewall. Only Server 2 with port 80 is exposed to the local network users.

Behind firewall these Servers have all ports open.

The configuration of both servers was easy following the guidelines found in documentation and community, but not the tunneling. The test url for qvstunnel.dll was ok with the message of Tunnel Available, but connecting via plug-in or desktop always failed with a "Denied Access".

The partner support send me a document describing the the need to create a registry key on the web server.

"No Registry entries are required when IIS is installed on the same machine as the

QlikView Server.  If they are separated then the following registry keys have to be created.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\QlikTech\QlikTunnel]

"QVSPort"=dword:000012a6

"QVSServer"="QvsHost"  "

I created the key and changed QvsHost parameter to the name of the qlikview SERVER 1 and tunneling started to work.

This information is missing from Qlikview Server version 11 manual , but its present in the manual from version 10. Well , version 11 still need this registry key to setup.

In my understand, qlikivew desktop clients or IE plug-in connects directly to qlikview server port 4747. When this port is blocked, they need are redirected to an http  tunnel via the web server port 80 to reach qlikview server port 4774,  not the 4747.

Best Regards,

Pablo Labbe

Qlikview Consultant

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Pablo,

You are correct that port 4774 is used by the tunneling and this is different than IIS talking to QVS.

If you look at the orginal post it was stated "When I use access point it cannot produce a list of documents producing a "So Server" message. The minute I open up port 4747 on my QV server all works well."

Again, I will state that IIS talkes to QVS on port 4747. It has to be open between the QVS server and IIS.

Bill

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Bill,

If think it´s correct to say the Access Point running under IIS (via Qlikview Service Settings) connects to Qlikview Server using port 4747. What do you think ?

Not applicable
Author

Hello Pablo -

I have the below server Architecture

Server1 - IIS

Server2 - Publisher

Server3 - QVS 1

Server4 - QVS 2

Server5 - QVS 3

In such architecture, where should I change the registry?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\QlikTech\QlikTunnel]

"QVSPort"=dword:000012a6

"QVSServer"="QvsHost"  - Which server name I should use here.?

Thanks