Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

URGENT- Weekly task having dependency on a daily task

I have a tricky situation here.

There is a daily task say 'A'(runs everyday).

There is one weekly task say 'B'(runs only on Monday) which is executed

on success of the daily task 'A'(Only on monday ofcource).

I have another task say 'C' which is a daily task and is executed on success of the daily task 'A'

I used to handle this with ease in an external scheduler. But now we need to schedule this in QMC as the external scheduler is going to be decommissioned. Can anyone suggest how to schedule these 3 tasks in QMC.

Labels (1)
5 Replies
maxgro
MVP
MVP

Hi

I think you could

schedule every day (on success of the previous)

Task A --> Task B --> Task C

In task B add a check at the beginning of the script; if it's Monday --> exit

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

This may help:

1) Set "Document A" to run "Daily" (QMC-->Documents-->User Document-->Reload)

2) Set "Document C" to run "On Event from Another Task" and select "successful" and "document A" on the right hand side.

3) Set "Document B" to run "Weekly" but also set "dependency" to "document A", like that it will run only if "Document A" was reloaded successfully in its last run.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the quick response Aydin !

I was considering this option. But, task dependency sometimes behaves oddly.

Can you please explain the below 2 scenarios if I follow the steps you suggested.

1. Suppose task A succeeds on ..saturday,sunday, but on monday for some reason it does not trigger (due to some dependency to any other task). In this case I beleive the task dependency you have mentioned in your 3rd point will check the last run which would be on sunday and it will trigger task B as it fill find it to be successful in the last run. But this should not trigger as task A did not trigger at all on monday.

2. Suppose I have scheduled task B on Monday at 9 AM.

Let task A be scheduled at 7 AM daily and usually takes 1 hour to complete.

If due to some reason task A takes more time (say 2.5 hours) on a monday.Here task B will check for the dependency at 9 AM but task A would be in 'executing' mode at that time. Here also I have observed task B will check the status of last run status of task A(i.e. status of sunday run). Suppose on sunday  task A was completed. Then task B will be triggered even if its dependency task would be still in 'executing' mode on monday. This should not happen.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Jaydeep

Not applicable
Author

I understand your concern,but unfortunately I do not know the exact answers for these scenarios.

Though for the second scenario, I guess that if it is in 'executing' mode, it should mean "not successful", thus the "task B" should not be triggered.

The best would be just to give them a try.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hi Aydin,

I just checked both the scenarios above and found out  :

If the dependent task is in executing mode then it checks for its last run status.

If the task was successful in its last run, then it will be triggered.

(It shouldn't though as its current status is executing ).

If the task was failed in its last run, then it will be not be triggered.