cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrading QVS 8.5 to 10

Hi!

I planning to upgrad the current version (8.5) to 10. What are the main things i have to write down/think about/be aware of when it comes to setup?

I have the hardware part under control so it's the other stuff i'm worried about. What folders to delete/save etc. 

Also, there's macros in one of the applications and i once heard that upgrading to 10 can shake things up a bit. What could happen?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Im in the same situation. I would like to know the same.

What issues may arise from an upgrade? Server and Client side?

isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

Man, long time no vesrion 8 for me, but here's a few things to consider.  I hope you've got a test environment to toy around in first 😃  Like any upgrade, I would recommend a full backup beforehand.  Also check the QVS Reference Manual (PDF) as it has some upgrading considerations.

• Licensing changes from v8 upwards - beginning with v9, there's no more Analyzer, Professional and Enterprise; just QlikView "Desktop."  May want to talk to your account rep if you haven't already.
  • Upgrade all of your clients at the same time as the server, regardless of what any documentation says.  I have NEVER had good luck using differing versions.
  • No more Java client, but I don't think anybody actually used that anyway..
  • I remember when going from 8 to 9 I had some small rendering issues, but nothing too terribly major.  Oh, and my documents mostly origined back in v6 or v7, so this may not apply to you.  Objects not lining up like they did before, or slightly different sizes, etc.
  • Publisher ~ I haven't had any success in upgrading Publisher, and I've done more than a couple upgrades.  And the way Publisher tasks work is different after v8 (the job/task hierarchy.)  I'd recommend you start clean setting up reloads etc. after the upgrade.  Make sure you have your scheduling info etc. handy.

All for now ~ if more come to mind I'll repost.  -Isaiah

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks!

the envoirment i'm planning to update right now has both 8.5 and 9.0 klients installed on the server that are running updates and sets variables through windows scheduler. can't really say why they've done this but that's what you by "Upgrade all of your clients at the same time as the server, regardless of what any documentation says.  I have NEVER had good luck using differing versions." ?

Also i've heard that macros can be tricky if you're doin an upgrade. The macros in the documnets are basicly simple selects and exports of object, would that be a problem? Should i back up marcos beside backing up the hole server?

Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Have you done tha upgrade yet? Did it go well?