Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Variables in qvs_files - some definition?

Hi,

I have just started on another round of "data_consolidation" insofar as I have some KPIs which are displayed in more than one app - most of them use one or several variables, so I put those into qvs files to avoid typos.

The drawback of this is that, in the variable_manager, you don't see any definition or explanation of the variable anymore.

Is there any possible fix to this?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Sure, load an inline table with the variable names, the definition and an explanation. You could put that table in the qvs (or an excel file) and generate the variables from the table too. See for example this discussion: Re: Set Variables using excel file

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Gysbert,

thanks a lot!

I'll consider that - it sounds good. I have that method somewhere else already - where I generate variables from an Excel file - and it would certainly be helpful to have some explanation of the variables in a QlikView_app.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

No,

that's not quite what I meant - sure it works. I can load a table with the variable_name, value and an explanation and then I can generate some variables from that tale ...

<=> The thing is, I don't want an additional table in my apps for every set of variables I load. The explanation is, however, not processed in the variable_viewer (Ctrl+Alt+V) and when i drop the table, it's gone.

That is no better yet than it was before.

Is there any other way?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler