Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What hardware do you run server/publisher?

Trying to spec hardware for new environment. Do you guys think it's an overkill?

HP BL680 2 x 6 cores 2.4Ghz, 32GB RAM with possible future upgrade to 4 x 6 cores 2.4Ghz, 64GB.

Raw source data from external sources will be about 4GB, with significant calculated expressions/dimensions on top of that.

On a separate note, is it a bad idea to run server and publisher on the same hardware? I don't see significant downsides.

Thank you for any feedback!

5 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Vitalik,

That's probably a little overkill, but it will give you room to expand. Your exact memory requirements depend on how many concurrent users you are expecting. For 4GB of data, if you have 5 concurrent users, you'll need about 16GB RAM. If you have 10 concurrent users, you'll need about 20GB RAM. On top of that you'll need to add Windows and application overhead, which can also be a couple GB. So your current configuration of 32GB is only slightly more than you will probably need.

Hope this helps.

Not applicable
Author

Vlad,

if same QVW is accessed through "access point" with IE plugin by multiple users, I thought QlikView will be sharing memory and serving request from cache when possible?

Thank you for you answer!

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Vitalik wrote:
On a separate note, is it a bad idea to run server and publisher on the same hardware? I don't see significant downsides.

Depends on your reload schedule and user access patterns. If significant reload and user activity is at the same time. I prefer to split Server and Publisher between two boxes. Publisher is batch and Server is interactive, quite two different resource profiles.

If your reloads are all occuring off hours, no problem.

-Rob

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Vitalik,

That's correct. That's why memory estimations usually double the size of the QVW on the HD, and then multiply by an additional ~15% for each concurrent user. It doubles in memory only once because of the caching.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Vald / Rob, thank you for your answers!