Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arish_delon
Creator
Creator

What if you don't have access to AD, can you "User Mange from QMC"?

I work a Big Organization that does not allow a regional office to have access to AD. If this is the case, does QlikView have component that can read First_Name, Last_Name, User_ID, Organization String from AD, using the Authentication access to produce a User Management tool to Manage User Access, License and run/print reports on User Access and Usage?

7 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

If you don't have access to an AD how will Qlik be able to read First_Name, Last_Name, User_ID, Organization String from AD?

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
arish_delon
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Bill, i have the configuration information to access AD. I am not sure if this access is sufficient to access AD tables. I saw some Org string when i was assigning accounts for Qlikview Document Admin. Is there QV component that can read the tables? Pipe to an app that can manager users and show who has access to which document or which folders and manage license at the same time.

Arish

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes there is such a component. It's called a Directory Service Connector (DSC). It allows QlikView Server to query a directory service and list users that you can select for CAL assignment, document authorization etc.

Configure a DSC for an AD domain so that it can forward queries to Active Directory. Enter whatever credentials are required to query AD. On average, if your QVS machine is part of the domain, and your service account is a domain account, you won't need any additional credentials. Of course, YMMV.

Don't worry about AD tables, you won't ever see them if you run a QlikView server with standard tools.

BTW every machine needs access to AD or Active Directory won't work. For example, you will not be able to log into your own laptop if Windows hasn't got the right to query AD and find out whether the credentials you enter are valid.

Best,

Peter

arish_delon
Creator
Creator
Author

Peter, you have given me "food for thought". What is YMMV?

"Configure a DSC for an AD domain so that it can forward queries to Active Directory. Enter whatever credentials are required to query AD. On average, if your QVS machine is part of the domain, and your service account is a domain account, you won't need any additional credentials."

After i do that...I should be able to mange users, view their access to documents, folders. track DOCALS, NAMECALS. How would i print or run a report? (Is there a App floating around in the community?)

Thank You.

Regards,

Arish

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

"Your Mileage May Vary"

"How do I print or run a report?" What report do you mean? A QlikView Document? A report inside a QLikViezw document? An AD report?

Maybe this is a question that needs a separate thread, so that we can close the one handling AD & DSC issues?

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Maybe I can suggest some answers already. Worth a try even if I didn't fully understand your question.

Tracking QlikView Management information can be done using two standard QlikView documents that need a reload on a regular basis. Download them from the links provided:

Both are easy to install and configure. If you need more systematic monitoring, have a look at the .QlikView Governance Dashboard here: http://community.qlik.com/blogs/technicalbulletin/2013/12/05/qlikview-governance-dashboard-11-availa...

Peter

arish_delon
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks you. Let me review this links and getback to you.

If you do not understand the question hope i will try to expalin it. .

I need to track users. (I use excel to track users. Who is accessing which document)

When users leave the copany. There account is disabled. AD will take are of the business.

When users move to a differen department. We need to ristrict the their access to pervious documents.

Businss and Complaiance audit migh request who has access to sensitive information. In this case i should be able send a list of users, which document they are accessing to the Businss and Complaince department.

Every things is tracked in excel. If its in QV, I have to print screen prints. There must be a tool available that can work in QV to provide these simple reports to Business heads and Security Managers. So information is not compromized.

Regards,
Arish