Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What is the current view on running Production QlikView on VMware and Are There Other Options?>

I have a requirement for a multi-tenanted environment where each tenant would run their main QV processing on 1 day a month but different days for each tenant. This scenario is perfect for a virtualised platform to avoid wasting resources BUT there does seem to be a lot of views that physical is best for Production.

I'd be interested to understand how other users have resolved this dilemma ie can I have 1 physical server running multiple client instances for example? Any guidance or experience would be much appreciated.

5 Replies
lft
Employee
Employee

Hi Suzy,

you can run QlikView server components on a virtualized platform but you have to expect the following :

- performance loss compared to a similar physical infrastructure will be at least 10-20%

- physical resources will need to be dedicated to the VM (CPU & RAM)

- disk IO & bandwidth should not be forgotten if loading qvws over 100Mb or more than 100 users (impact on qvw loading time, shared / meta / pgo RW speed

- there are some limitations with virtualisation & windows server NLB, so if you intend to cluster QlikView web servers you might need a physical NLB device (or tweak windows / virtualisation configuration)

I have run a virtualised clustered QlikView production environment for 1300 users without problems during 3 years. In peak we were reaching 50 simultaneous connections. Average response time for selections on a 600Mb qvw was around 1.5 seconds

When we tried to see what it would look like on a physical environment with the same specifications, response time was around 0.5 seconds. We decided that, even if 0.5 was better, 1.5 was good enough compared to the 15 minutes it took to generate a report before QlikView. The price of a virtualized machine was also much cheaper for us at that time (less than half the price of physical)

Hope this helps.

Loic

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

QlikView do supports visualization but its recommended to have a dedicated physical server.

Have a look at the attached document.

Regards

ASHFAQ

syukyo_zhu
Creator III
Creator III

Hi loic.

I have treated recently this subject. it seem there is not really différence about performance between an VM and physique machine.

So where did yo get information about performance of VM from qliktech or did you do the test of performance yourself.

thanks

lft
Employee
Employee

Hi Xia,

It really depends on you esx, vm / network configuration & QlikView setup / apps but in most cases you should expect at least 10% drop in average response time ... which is not much compared to the cost savings that virtualisation brings.

The Qlik whitepaper on virtualization states that :

Testing done by the QlikTech Scalability Center has shown that the addition of server virtualization generally has a small impact on performance (<5%). However, in some test scenarios, particularly those where the server was under heavy load, the addition of virtualization degraded performance as much as 35%.

I'm now working for Qlik but in my previous company I was in charge of managing the QlikView platform. I'm getting my information from there. One would note that I was leasing my VMs from the company IT, and was thus not able to tweak the ESX & VM config.

PFA this whitepaper.

Loic

syukyo_zhu
Creator III
Creator III

So in first time we should check out the case and then decide which option we will take.

it's very interesting. thanks