Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonseril
Creator
Creator

When will the documents start to unload?

Hello All,

The image below shows the QlikView Server memory allocation.

memory_alloc.PNG

My question is with the "Documents start unload"; after the "All sessions timed out", what time or when will the documents start to unload?  How many minutes or seconds after all the sessions timed out?  Where can we set this time in the QMC?

Thanks in advance and more power!

Best regards,

Jason

14 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Jason,

IMHO your red markers indicate no measurable or significant value. The graph is a bit misleading in that there is no relation between "All Sessions Timed Out" and the first app getting unloaded. There is a relation however between "All Sessions Timed Out" and the very last app getting unloaded. That is the value of the Document Timeout parameter Stefan is talking about.

Best,

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

My point is moot, since you correctly pointed out that it's just a sketch.

I was assuming that while no real values are present in this graph, it should still respect ratio's and scaling. Otherwise wrong conclusions may be drawn from this image or people may get confused (like myself). Bad sketch.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Right,

it would also be helpful if the document would actually reference the settings you can utilize to control the server behaviour.

Still some things to improve in QV documentation.

gsbeaton
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Jason,

I don't think this thread came to a satisfactory answer on this?  However, lets just be clear on what you are asking.  The actually amount of memory allocated to the application upon loading may not be that important.  If you have an application that is 1gig on file, then I would expect it to be allocated 1 gig memory upon loading (this is only a hunch, I haven't tested this).  What will start consuming a lot of memory is your cached results, and these will persist long after all your applications have timed out, until new more recent requests overwrite them (once your working set max has been reached).

Here's a relevant snippet from the same document the chart came from:

When the application is unloaded from memory the total amount of allocated memory will

drop by the same amount as originally allocated by the application. However, cached result

sets will persist in memory as there is no reason to remove any cached result set that might

be beneficial later on if there are no other requests for usage of the allocated memory.

I'd be interested to know at what point the original allocation is unloaded after the users sessions have timed out though.

George

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I think Stefan answered your (and Jasons) question early on:

QMC -> System -> YourQV-Server -> Documents -> Document timeout