Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Connection lost" problem if use different clients

Community,

Here is the problem:
I open a server-based QV application using QV Desktop.  Next, open another session with AJAX client.  When I'm switching between these two clients, getting "connection lost" message and have to reopen.  Well, AJAX reopens by itself but still a problem...
No problems if both sessions are Desktop (or Plugin), or both are AJAX.  But the ability to use Desktop and AJAX at the same time by the same user is a requirement.
Is it possible to eliminate "lost connection" in this situation? 

Thank you,
Michael

Labels (2)
11 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I believe the answer is "No", unless you either allow Anonymous or give a different userid for each session.

Are you trying to open a session on the same document or another document?

When opening the same document, the problem is that Session state is maintained per userid. Those two clients use different mechanisms to identify machine/client/session, so they cannot converge on one session.

Similar problem using Named CALs. Named CALs are only allowed one one "machine" at a time. The different id mechanism (Desktop=mac address, Ajax=cookie) look like two different "machines" to the QVS.

Only workaround I've seen is to open the sessions with different userids.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob,

I'm opening the same document (this is what's needed), but test shows that it doesn't matter.

I just tried using "Identify by Machine name" instead of the default "by User name", and looks like it helps.  To be continued...

Regards,

Michael

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

One of the peculiarities of opening the same document in two windows is that you still only have one document session. That means selections made in one window will be reflected in the other window (as soon as the other window is clicked).. So you can't really run "two analysis", which is usually what people want.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, the "two analysis" is exactly what people want.

I do not observe the behavior you've described.  Since I can't delete my user CAL immediately, there are chances that I in fact run two sessions - one as "User", another as "Machine", utilizing two CALs.  To be tested tomorrow, when my User CAL will be deleted.

So, if you're right, any solution requires two CALs per user

Thanks,

Michael

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This is a funny situation.

Keeping two regular client sessions open using a single CAL on two different machines or on the same machine with two different client types should be possible. But not three.

Could it be that you leased out that same CAL to your desktop at the same time? Because that would leave only one active client session which will jump from AJAX to Plugin/Desktop AP client and vice versa (leading to those  "lost connection" messages on the session you just left)

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Peter,

But, how you explain the "lost connection" issue in case when one session is in AJAX and another in a licensed QV Desktop?  No CAL lease in this case.

Situation is a little better when QV Desktop is licensed and the clients are Plugin and AJAX.  Only AJAX client loses connection, but never Plugin.  Still not acceptable.

What else I'm missing?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

"...one session is in AJAX and another...". A licensed QV desktop is (if not licensed by way of a local license) at the same time "using" your CAL 1 time (if you use it as an AP client wth Open in server) and leasing your CAL, i.e. transferring the CAL for offline use in the regular development environment. That means your two usages are gone.

The second situation is weird, as the plugin should loose its connection as soon as the AJAX client opens a document. Maybe it isn't visible immediately. I've never heard of a "Connection Lost" dialog in QV Desktop.

The same thing can happen with the QV Desktop itself, when another desktop tries to lease a CAL a second (or a third) time. The difference is that the first desktop will fall back to PE mode.

This is tricky stuff, and based entirely on experience, not on the content of some secret theoretical QlikTech document. Moreover this behavior can change between SR-releases. The best thing you can do is set-up a few simple but essential combinations of clients and desktops, and test them out. IMHO it all comes down to:

* same login, same machine, same client: do what you want (as many browsers with a session each as you like)

* one of the above is differen: 2 sessions max.

Good luck,

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The second situation is weird, as the plugin should loose its connection as soon as the AJAX client opens a document. Maybe it isn't visible immediately. I've never heard of a "Connection Lost" dialog in QV Desktop.

It is not "immediately", but on return to QV Desktop session after using AJAX session.  To be exact, the message is "Server communication lost, closing document!", and it's not reconnecting automatically.  AJAX at least reconnects.

The "same client" solution is preferable of course...

Thanks,

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Resolved by licensing:

1. Situation with one document in Desktop (or Plugin) and another document in AJAX:
Replace User CALs with the Document CALs.

2. Situation with the same document in Desktop (or Plugin) and in AJAX:

Replace User CALs with the Session CALs.