Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

upgrade 11 sr1 to 11.2 Sr?

Hi Everyone

We are looking to upgrade our QV. It seems that it is a straight forward upgrade, however there are few point i wanted to get help on.

1. When you update, qv asks to uninstall old version, do you have to do that, can you install on top of current version. Uninstall of old version scares me with all the settings, folders etc.
  2. Do you need to upgrade new license from qliktech or you existing will get updated.
  3. Our environment uses IE plugins, do we need to update users IE plugin.
  4. If we do need to update plugin, do we need to clear cache on each users machine.
  5. What are the check list that one should have when upgrading. I have following can you please add to it.
    1. Backup server.
    2. Backup Apps
    3. Have license info ready.
    4. Perform Upgrade.
    5. Check all the connections
    6. Update user IE plugin (yes or no)
    7. Clear user IE cache (yes or no)
    8. anything else ......
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi md35,

normally this is a straight forward action, nevertheless with no warranty

some remarks from my experience:

0.1 Backup isn't a bad idea, I hope you do that regularly

0.2 Being local admin and member of qvadmin is recommended

1. yes, uninstall the old version is necessary, but no problem. Settings and folders are not lost

2. no upgrade of licence needed (assuming you have a software service contract including new version)

5. Update the server and all the windows clients (no qvadmin necessary); don't forget the client installed on the  QV-server itself, if any

6. Start/stop QV-services

7. upgrade plugin on every pc

8. check and test . . .

Regards

Roland

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi md35,

normally this is a straight forward action, nevertheless with no warranty

some remarks from my experience:

0.1 Backup isn't a bad idea, I hope you do that regularly

0.2 Being local admin and member of qvadmin is recommended

1. yes, uninstall the old version is necessary, but no problem. Settings and folders are not lost

2. no upgrade of licence needed (assuming you have a software service contract including new version)

5. Update the server and all the windows clients (no qvadmin necessary); don't forget the client installed on the  QV-server itself, if any

6. Start/stop QV-services

7. upgrade plugin on every pc

8. check and test . . .

Regards

Roland

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Apart from above

I think Updating user plugin on every PC not necessary,as we upgraded last month from version 10 to version 11 and there was no complain  from users until now.

Upgrading was done on new server while old server was operational,so users are not obstructed from accessing reports.

Not applicable
Author

Even if you have some backwards comparability in the plugin is the recommendation still to use same version as on the server. I have seen several customers run into issues based on users with old plugin accessing the server.

Not applicable
Author

I aggree totally with Hampus,

it is always a good idea having the whole software package up to date, this means fitting versions.

RR

Not applicable
Author

thanks guys,

before plugin upgrade, is clearing cache recommended.

during testing, what do you test, what could go wrong. are you only testing if each dashboard loads up fine.

another thing is do i have to open each dashboard into current version of qv and save it, is it necessary.

Not applicable
Author

Hi again,

clear cache not recommended

testing: one application is enough. See if it is working.

Check next morning your load - tasks. This is for my oppion the only critical path. May be you have to start them manually (once).

Thats all.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Roland

As per QlikTech upgrade manual it says to clear cache, why do you not recommend we do so, have you experinced any issue when doing that?

Do I need to open and save each app in new upgraded client of qlikview.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

The plugin should always be the same or higher than the server.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.