Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

v10 Supporting Task to open, modify, save Excel file not working when initiated through Management Console

In testing v10 Server/Publisher/Developer, I am stuck on one thing: I cannot get a supporting task to successfully run a qvw which has an "on open" module to open, modify and save an Excel file. This process works in v85 and it works in v10 when I log in to the server under the automated user account and open the qvw directly.

The external task commandline is this:

qv.exe /NoSecurity \\SERVERNAME\QlikView\Development\__Data_Load\Testing_Module.qvw

Within the module, there is a reload statement, an email generation function (which works), and the Excel open/modify/save function - which works everywhere except when initiated via Publisher (QEMC).

Any thoughts -- anyone?

Thanks! Tyler

Environment: 64 bit, 128 GB, 4-quad core processor server running v10 Server and Developer.

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Just for debugging, try to execute it from a local folder and to export to a csv with "ServerSideExport" function.

Not applicable
Author

Corrado,

I'm not sure I know what the ServerSideExport is. Can you explain.

Also, when you say execute from a local folder, do you mean open/run the qvw locally? Or running the command line prompt in the command line directly (not through pubisher)?

Thanks!

Not applicable
Author

ServerSideExport is a function you may find in the QlikView API example documentation (in the installation folder of QV local client).

I was meaning to an execution from a local folder.

Check to address qv.exe with the full path anyway (EX: C:\Program Files\QlikView\qv.exe), Regards.

Not applicable
Author

An update: I can run this command line script on the server when I log in as the automation user account (used by Publisher), meaning, I can run the qv.exe /NoSecurity \\QVDOC.qvw from the command line or from the "Run" command line on the server and it works. It opens QV, opens and saves Excel, and sends an email with the Excel file attached. When this occurs, I can see both a qv.exe and EXCEL32*.exe processes in Task manager running under the automated user account (which has administrator rights on the server.)

Also, when I run this command line script from v10 Publisher, it opens qv.exe (I can watch the process show up in task manager), will send me an email, but will not open Excel. It gets stuck at the obj.Workbooks.Open(Excel Filename) part of the module in the QVW.

Could this be some 'feature' of Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit) c ombined with Excel 2003 x86? If so, how can I get around this!?

berzajsh
Contributor
Contributor

After moving to a Server 2008 64-bit from Server 2003 I also had some problems with Excel. You may find these posts helpful.

http://bytes.com/topic/c-sharp/answers/819740-c-service-excel-application-workbooks-open-fails-when-...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/innovateonoffice/thread/b81a3c4e-62db-488b-af06-444218...

I added the folder C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop as suggested and my Excel macro would run.

Haralds