Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.

3D Surface Chart Extension Object (Version 1)

Employee
Employee

3D Surface Chart Extension Object (Version 1)

As a follow up to  the initial work I did on integrating a 3D surface chart into QlikView, I have finished the WebGL version of the chart. This one is fully completed is a "release" product. It displays a 3D grid, auto scales the data axis, and displays the dimension labels and values. It uses WebGL code to render a much better display. It is also fully interactive, allowing viewing of the chart at any angle.

The only thing missing is that it does not display the values when you hover over the data points. If that is a must have then I suggest you use the earlier version I did of this chart, which can be found here http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-3202. That version is not nearly as pretty, and does not auto-scale, but it does display the values as pop-up text.

As before, the real credit goes to a chap named Greg Ross, who actually developed the chart API in javascript. I just integrated it into QlikView. (More information the API can be found herehttp://www.grvisualisation.50webs.com/javascript_surface_plot.html)

Below is a screen shot of the chart from within QlikView.

Screen_Shot.jpg

POINTS TO NOTE:

The chart does not work in IE at the moment. IE does not provide support for WebGL or some of the inbuilt functionality needed to render the chart properly. It seems that 'Web Mode' in the QlikView desktop emulates IE so the chart wont work in the desktop client either. You will need to deploy the extension to the server and view the attached QVW from there with a non-IE browser. I used Chrome but others should work. I tested with an iPad and while the chart displayed, it was not interactive and did not display all of the features, as I assume Safari does not fully support WebGL.

I have not changed the extension object code to a QAR, as it wont work within the desktop product anyway (see above). Simply unzip the code to your server directory C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Extensions\Objects and copy the QVW to your server.

If there are zeroes in your data then QlikView doesnt pass them to the chart. To get around this you need to add a second expression to the chart that always equates to a number eg. sum(1). The extra expression is not used in the chart, but forces every row to be included.

Please note that this extension object is unsupported and is supplied "AS IS". I hope you find it useful.

Attachments
Comments
Not applicable

Two questions:

1. Any news about rendering in Qlikview Desktop?
  2. If latest question is no, do you have one manner to play or to see your extension, for example, in a external server?

I want to see how it works. The problem: I only have QVDesktop with Personal License, not QV Server.

Anyway, good job Lee!

Thanks for all,
Yago

Employee
Employee

If you only have personal edition, you will probably find that you can use the earlier version of this extension that I created. It can be found here:

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-3202

It does not look nearly as nice, but it has the benefit of displaying the plot values as you hover over each point. Download that one and give it a try.

Not applicable

I tried it but I could not run it! Data is correctly loaded! However, when I activate 'web view', the extension object window stay in white. Any message, any error!

(1) I place extension object in this Qlikview URL:

C:\Users\{myUser}\AppData\Local\QlikTech\QlikView\Extensions\Objects\SurfaceChart\

(2) In the script, I only change the absolute file path to load data (it is absolute to your system C:\Data\Prospects\VariousExamples\SurfaceChart\SurfaceChartData.xlsx) to relative (directly the name of file, more generic). This fix an error loading data.

In whatever case, Surface Chart object stay white and not appears anything. I do not know what happens.

Qlikview v11.00.114141.0 SR2

Thanks for all Lee,
Yago

Employee
Employee

Sorry for the late reply. I had a play with it myself and it does not work in either IE or QV desktop either. I just noted that I had mentioned this also in the posting of the first object. Sorry to mislead you. IE just does not have the functionality to render the chart properly, and QV web mode seems to leverage IE.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-28-2012 01:09 AM
Updated by:
Employee