Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

Audit Logging

richard_pearce6
Not applicable

Audit Logging

Hi,

This is something I’ve used time and time again in organizations I’ve worked for. QlikView does automatically log information when using QMS, this is different…..

Within the script code is placed that will write to an ‘Audit Log’ qvd which can be read by a further dashboard (attached). All types of information can be passed and what is up to you. Variable states, table sizes, durations, etc. Anything that will help you later debug an issue or monitor the performance.

Benefits of implementing this code become apparent when monitoring script performance or debugging script issues that arise outside office hours (or at any time).

Here is a technical guide (Audit Logging | qlikcentral)

Hope it helps and I'd love to hear your feedback

Note - Some field values in the attached dashboard have been scrambled

Richard

qlikcentral | Create / Inform

Labels (2)
Attachments
Comments
mikkeltaylor
Not applicable

Hi Richard,

Thanks for this.  I have been playing with it today and managed to get it working (I wasn't entirely sure what I needed to configure.

Do you have an example of how you would deploy this into a script? i.e. how would you wrap it around a table you were loading/processing?

I'll let you know if I have any further feedback....

Thanks

Mike.

richard_pearce6
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

In my blog there's a number of code examples you can copy and paste into your application. For example:

**********Update start for audit log***********/

LET vAuditLog_Start = TimeStamp(Now());

/***********************************************/

FACT_Table:

Load * from

(qvd);

// Store the table size & Duration in audit log
/***************Update audit log****************/
LET vTable = ‘FACT_Table'; LET vRows  = NoOfRows(‘$(vTable)’);  LET vFields = NoOfFields(‘$(vTable)’);
CALL AuditLog (‘$(vCycleStart)’,’$(vAuditLog_Application)’,’QVD FACT Row Count’,’$(vTable)’,’$(vRows)’,’$(vAuditLog_Start)’);
CALL AuditLog (‘$(vCycleStart)’,’$(vAuditLog_Application)’,’QVD FACT Field Count’,’$(vTable)’,’$(vFields)’,’$(vAuditLog_Start)’);
CALL AuditLog (‘$(vCycleStart)’,’$(vAuditLog_Application)’,’Duration’,’$(vTable)’,”,’$(vAuditLog_Start)’);
LET vTable =; LET vRows  = ;  LET vFields = ;
/***********************************************/

This is how code is used around load statements to log how big the table was and how long it took to load.

If you follow the link to the technical guide about it will talk you through the other elements and code examples (although from your message I guess you may have already looked at that). Please let me know if you need any further help.

Regards

Richard

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎04-01-2014 09:21 AM
Updated by: