Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

FoxPro Connectivity via 64bit QlikView v11

harvinderjohal
Contributor

FoxPro Connectivity via 64bit QlikView v11

Symptom:

Within QlikView designer, attempted to create a new app and connect to 32bit FoxPro via OLEDB using 64bit QlikView version 11. 

The ‘Force 32bit’ option was selected in the Script Editor before attempting to connect via OLEDB.

Clicking ‘Connect’, the following error is immediately returned:  "QvConnect 11.00 IR has stopped working"

Resolution:

Workaround was to use ODBC instead.

First step was to check the version of the FoxPro ODBC driver installed on the machine.

Searched  for VFPODBC.DLL (most likely in either the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or C:\Windows\System32 folder), found that the file was 1.0.2.0.

On the Microsoft Download site, the latest version was 6.1.8629.1.  Downloaded and installed the most up to date version of the driver from found Microsoft:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190233

NOTE:  If downloading the update, make sure to scroll down on the Microsoft download page, to the very bottom, and download the VFPODBC.MSI file, do not download the VFPODBC.MSM.

Installed and rebooted machine.

Attempted to connect to FoxPro.  The Connect Script in the Script Editor was missing the DBQ syntax. 

ie.  ODBC CONNECT32 TO [Visual FoxPro Database];

Added the DBQ syntax manually to only include the root path to the database file (did not include the name of the database file).

ie. ODBC CONNECT32 TO [Visual FoxPro Database;DBQ=C:\folder\rootpath];

Was able to successfully see tables and proceed with building an app.

Labels (1)
Comments
harvinderjohal
Contributor

MS has seemed to change the location for the VP ODBC driver download.  Perform a search on their site for VFPODBC.MSI if you can't find it.  For now, here is a link to the driver while it's still up there:  http://download.microsoft.com/download/vfoxodbcdriver/Install/6.1/W9XNT4/EN-US/VFPODBC.msi

0 Likes
michielvandegoo
Valued Contributor

This link is working too.

http://download.rcms.net/rc-commerce/VFPODBC.msi

I installed this version and it works as expected.

0 Likes
josegreau
Visitor

Awesome!

I didn't know that you can do that!.

I was trying to readsome DBFfiles, but QV misread them (it loads data with a lot of garbage)

Thanks for the post

0 Likes
gshockxcc
Contributor

Has anyone been able to get this to work on Windows 7?

0 Likes
harvinderjohal
Contributor

The above was on Windows 7.  The ODBC driver was 32bit only vs a 64bit option.

0 Likes
gshockxcc
Contributor

OK, then I'm confused.  Why does the Microsoft website say this:

Supported Operating System

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2

I downloaded it and installed it on my machine, and the VFPODBC.DLL still reads version 1.00.02.00

When I select the data source, and choose "New", this is what I see.

Picture1.png

0 Likes
harvinderjohal
Contributor

I'm unclear on why Microsoft would support platforms such as Windows Vista and XP and not Windows 7.  If I recall, I believe support for the XP operating system has also ended so doubly unclear why Windows 7 is unsupported.  A quick search for the Visual FoxPro Downloads yields this site:

Visual FoxPro Downloads

Several downloads are available.  It also looks like Microsoft has dropped support for FoxPro ODBC drivers and are recommending OLEDB instead, though I'm not seeing Windows 7 support. 

Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver not included in MDAC 2.6 and later

For official guidelines and support on their drivers, please contact Microsoft support.

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2012-02-03 05:15 PM
Updated by: