Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

Getting the most out of a Trellis bar chart, some tricks

stigchel
Honored Contributor

Getting the most out of a Trellis bar chart, some tricks

Getting the most out of a Trellis bar chart, some tricks.

The Trellis chart can be useful for displaying the same chart over a dimension, but it has its limitations. This document aims to show how to get around some of those limitations.

Issue

• - No Sorting within the (2nd) Trellis dimension

You may want to sort on the outcomes for each trellis chart separately, but the same order is displayed for all Trellis charts.

• - Same values for the (2nd) Trellis dimension.

You may want to display e.g. a top ten for each of the Trellis charts.

Work around:

• - Use a rank as second dimension and an expression for the dimension label

Issue

• - Fixed y axis for all Trellis charts

The same min and max values are used for all Trellis charts axes

Workaround:

• - For the display of the bar use an expression to calculate the difference from the average of the 1st dimension
  • - To display the actual outcome, use an expression with values on datapoint.

This way you are more likely to get the most out of the limited display area in a trellis chart

TrellisSort.png

See the attached qvw for the specifics.

Attachments
Comments
carbal1952
Contributor II

People needs more tricks & tips.

Thank you; I like Trellis bar chart the most !

christianlaurit
Contributor II

Very useful. Thanks

/Christian

emer_gallagher
New Contributor II

Thanks this really helped me

Really good.

THX.

Not applicable

Nice article with good pointers.

Nice.

datanibbler
Esteemed Contributor

Hi!

Good one!

I have used Trellis_charts in some of my apps and the fixed y_axis was always what bothered me the most - if I needed to display the avg. of trucks arrived on a given day (around 20 or so) and the nr. of boxes received on that day (in the 100s), that was an issue.

I usually avoided that by instead using several individual charts which I positioned like they would be in a Trellis_chart, all having the same visibility_condition.

I will have a look at the qvw you attached for details on how to work around that.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Not applicable

Thanks

Have you Ever done a similar exercise with a Scattergram graph, i am battling with the standard X and Y axis

Regards

joydipp1988
Contributor

Hi Piet Hein van der Stigchel,

I didn't understood the fixed Y-axis issue you mentioned. Can you please elaborate a bit as i have to use the same in my current asignment. Some screenshots with highlighted portion will be best.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Joy

stigchel
Honored Contributor

The same Y-axis min and max values are used for all trellis charts, they are not dynamic for the trellis dimension as you can see here:

TrellisAxis.png

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎09-10-2013 07:55 AM
Updated by: