Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Getting the most out of a Trellis bar chart, some tricks

Partner
Partner

Getting the most out of a Trellis bar chart, some tricks

Getting the most out of a Trellis bar chart, some tricks.

The Trellis chart can be useful for displaying the same chart over a dimension, but it has its limitations. This document aims to show how to get around some of those limitations.

Issue

• - No Sorting within the (2nd) Trellis dimension

You may want to sort on the outcomes for each trellis chart separately, but the same order is displayed for all Trellis charts.

• - Same values for the (2nd) Trellis dimension.

You may want to display e.g. a top ten for each of the Trellis charts.

Work around:

• - Use a rank as second dimension and an expression for the dimension label

Issue

• - Fixed y axis for all Trellis charts

The same min and max values are used for all Trellis charts axes

Workaround:

• - For the display of the bar use an expression to calculate the difference from the average of the 1st dimension
  • - To display the actual outcome, use an expression with values on datapoint.

This way you are more likely to get the most out of the limited display area in a trellis chart

TrellisSort.png

See the attached qvw for the specifics.

Attachments
Comments
carbal1952
Contributor II

People needs more tricks & tips.

Thank you; I like Trellis bar chart the most !

Partner
Partner

Very useful. Thanks

/Christian

0 Likes
emer_gallagher
New Contributor II

Thanks this really helped me

0 Likes

Really good.

THX.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Nice article with good pointers.

0 Likes

Nice.

0 Likes
datanibbler
Esteemed Contributor

Hi!

Good one!

I have used Trellis_charts in some of my apps and the fixed y_axis was always what bothered me the most - if I needed to display the avg. of trucks arrived on a given day (around 20 or so) and the nr. of boxes received on that day (in the 100s), that was an issue.

I usually avoided that by instead using several individual charts which I positioned like they would be in a Trellis_chart, all having the same visibility_condition.

I will have a look at the qvw you attached for details on how to work around that.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks

Have you Ever done a similar exercise with a Scattergram graph, i am battling with the standard X and Y axis

Regards

0 Likes
joydipp1988
Contributor

Hi Piet Hein van der Stigchel,

I didn't understood the fixed Y-axis issue you mentioned. Can you please elaborate a bit as i have to use the same in my current asignment. Some screenshots with highlighted portion will be best.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Joy

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

The same Y-axis min and max values are used for all trellis charts, they are not dynamic for the trellis dimension as you can see here:

TrellisAxis.png

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2013-09-10 07:55 AM
Updated by: