Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements
QlikWorld 2020: Join us May 11 - 14, 2020 in Phoenix, AZ. Register early and save $400. Learn More

Hierarchy in QlikView

Not applicable

Hierarchy in QlikView

QlikView is an associative BI tool, not a hierarchical one. The different bricks of a hierarchy are splitted into the different levels so that can be mixed up.

However, we want sometimes have a hierarchical representation :

HierarchicalDrillDown.JPG
This document explains you the different steps to build a hierarchy. And also answer to the problem we often face the first time we build one hierarchy in QlikView: the aggregated values have no data !

The XLS file contain a hierarchy and some data that are used in the examples of the PDF.

Comments
Not applicable

Thank you for this.  The example is showing where the data is within an XSL file.  The data im working with is in a SQL table so can you advise what I would need to do in the from statement.

0 Likes
juan_escobar
Contributor II

hi! this was a huge help! but I have some questions. How can I build the ParentsID and NodesID from a Region/City/Area/Customer master table?

I have the codes and where they belong to, but I'm kind of confused here.

Thanks in advance.

Kindest regards!

0 Likes
michael_gardner
Contributor III

All records from the master table in one field would be the NodeID and to the right of the record in the NodeID field should be its direct Parent in the ParentID field.  Those two fields will meet the demand for the hierarchy prefix.

Example Hierarchy Table:

NodeID, ParentID             

North America,

Chicago, North America

Steve, Chicago

South America,

Mexico, South America

Tom, Mexico

Qlikview prefix:

Hierarchy(NodeID, ParentID, NodeDescription,,NodeDescription,ListBoxName, '|')

LOAD

NodeID,

ParentID,

NodeID as NodeDescription

FROM....;

I believe SQL server has an option to create a Hierarchy Table from a normal table. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

i am confused about this whole thing.

i get the part where it creates hierarchy and creates tree view menu. however how does menu connect to various tables and charts is the part I don't understand.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi! Great introduction to hierarchies! However, I get to the point where I create a listbox (page 7) but I do not manage to "Show as Treeview"!!! This is really upsetting! Do you have an idea of something I did wrong? Thanks!

0 Likes
Not applicable

No idea !!

Did you choose the "Path" field (where you have AncestorN|ParentN|NodeX) ? How is this field populated ?

Did you choose the right delimiter in the listbox ?

Fabrice

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank You!

Your structured manual has helped me.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi,

I used the same example to create another new hierarchy, but I try to removed Client 008 from Region 4.

Excel file, you can see I already remove the line R4 with Client 008. If I run the program, the result will give me as below (next image). The Region 4 is seems like not aligned with Region 5 or 1 or 2. How to resolve this issue?

1.PNG.png

2.PNG.png

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi,

It seems that the problems occurs when Region 4 has no child (no client is linked to it). Therefore, data should be 0 for many variables.

I do not know how to solve this particular issue (link to it some clients ?)

Fabrice

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ya, but maybe some of the example not all the region do have client. =(

Is ok, thanks anyway.

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2013-09-17 12:48 PM
Updated by: