Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.

Left or Right side navigation - Technical Brief.pdf

sna
Contributor II

Left or Right side navigation - Technical Brief.pdf

I have received a few emails from QlikView developers asking what the best practice is for placing list boxes.  There are two arguments that you may think of right away.

In information design, left-side, top-left to be precise, is always used for the most important information.  It is because as a human-nature that’s the space people pay attention to first.  So why should I waste the space for placing the navigation pane there?  I should place it on the right.

Another argument is that people are used to use left navigation because most of the web sites have menus on the left.  Think about a shopping web site.  All departments, categories, genders, sizes… whatever you think of usually on the left hand side.  So why should I go against human’s habit and place it on the right-side?  People will get confused.

I can buy both arguments.  But then how about placing it at the top?  I have seen QlikView applications that have navigation pane at the top.  Is this the best of all?

In this technical brief, I have illustrated top, left and top pane scenarios in QlikView usability perspective.  You will also see a trick to how to place many list boxes on a sheet for easy navigation.   

Labels (1)
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎04-25-2013 05:19 PM
Updated by:
sna