Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Pin And Needle Diagram for QlikView (with native ComboChart)

Employee
Employee

Pin And Needle Diagram for QlikView (with native ComboChart)

A customer asked me whether a "Pin and Needle Chart" would be possible with QlikView (for example: Hichert information design recommends this chart type to represent percentage deviations).

Well, that chart isn't available at first sight. It requires tree layers of a Combo Chart together

1. A dot layer to show the needle heads with a background color formula (positive values are green, negative are right)
  2. A box plot layer with a very untypical box size of 0 and an "upper whisker" in case of positive values, and a "lower whisker" in case of negative values
  3. a bar chart layer with a bar color of ARGB(0,0,0,0)  (means: completely transparent). Only purpose of this bar layer is the "show values on data points" flag which will print the value next to the needle head. I also put a non-breaking space CHR(8192) before and after the value, so that it makes a little space between the number and the needle head.

Example app is attached.

Pin and Needle.png

Screenshot 2016-03-03 22.47.01.png

See also QlikView BulletChart made with native Combo-Chart

Attachments
Comments

Very creative. Thanks for sharing this

joaquinlr
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Christof, very interesting

Not applicable

Very Good! I used the same approach to visualize my deviations regarding the IBCS. Just a short note: Eliminate the vertical lines and add a reference line. IBCS do not use vertical lines.

2016-03-04 13_44_43-QlikView x64 - [C__Users_lliadx8_AppData_Local_Microsoft_Windows_Temporary Inter.jpg

thornofcrowns
Valued Contributor II

Very nice, but can't you do something very similar using a chart with error bars, rather than box plots?QV_Pin_Needle_1Chart.PNG

satishkurra
Valued Contributor II

Excellent Post. Thanks for the creativity...

ravishankarqv
New Contributor III

Interesting One. Thanks for Sharing.

saran7de
Contributor III

Excellent

pradeepreddy
Valued Contributor II

Good work.. very interesting..

bittecourt
Contributor II

Amigo,

Poderia me encaminhar um modelo desse gráfico desenvolvido em barra de erro como disse, e possível.

Tenho um tabela em excel  no painel demostro 6 gráficos de barras, e possível desenvolver esses gráficos de pin agulha com dados em excel?????

punitpopli
Contributor III

Good one.

Thanks for sharing

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎03-03-2016 11:43 AM
Updated by:
Employee