Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

QlikView documentation and resources.

Announcements
Document boards are being consolidated, this board no longer allows NEW documents READ MORE

QlikView App: Advanced_Search_Syntax_Builder

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simonc-cfn
Contributor III
Contributor III

QlikView App: Advanced_Search_Syntax_Builder

Attachments

I have put together the attached QVW for ease of selecting any field within a QVW using the $Field, pasting a "list" of values (each must be in their own line) to an input object, then applying the values to the selected field. This can be accomplished by adding the variables & objects into your existing QVW.

If the desire is to not add this to your QVW, you can use this QVW to create the OR syntax by pasting the list into the script's inline table.  Provide the Field name to the inline table that corresponds to your QVW.  You will be able to copy the OR script to your list box's Advanced Search. Please note that there is a character limitation when pasting a large script to a table column drop down, a multi box drop down or search box. For large scripts, add a list box of the desired field, right click, select Advanced Search, paste then click Go! Let me know if this is helpful.  It sure helps me!  

Comments
aaroncouran
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Simon,

Great tip!

BTW - The character limit for all searching in QV is 1024 characters.

Have you looked at any creative way to search against much longer strings?  Like if a user has a spreadsheet of say, 5,000 random invoice id's?  Would be interested to know if you had to tackle such a case.

Aaron

0 Likes
simonc-cfn
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Aaron.  I was able to do this for 5100 values. Could be possible with even more, haven't verified. This, using the advanced Search, not the basic search from drop downs or Search object, which appear to have this character limitation.  I can provide and example of the script if you wish.

0 Likes
aaroncouran
Creator III
Creator III

Oh OK.  I hadn't actually downloaded the qvw until now.  This is ingenious.

Especially useful because we are not limited to the 1024 characters in a search.  Probably very fast since we are making selection in a single field.  I will do some testing.  Thanks so much for creating this.

vikasmahajan

Excellent ...

happydays1967
Creator
Creator

Just the thing I needed... Couldn't get the advanced search to work, but with this example it works like a charm!

0 Likes
cheburashka
Creator III
Creator III

Usefull but not exactly advanced search, I would call it multiple values selector using search. I was expecting AND, OR and NOT options in your syntax builder.

0 Likes
mastankomatla21
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Simon,

I have implemented the same advanced search as you provided here and it Is working fine in my project but when I check with the web view the data is not showing so, Can you please suggest the possible way.

Also I am looking only for one field search with multiple values so if possible please suggest your valuable method.

Thanks in Advance

Mastan

0 Likes
simonc-cfn
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Mastanaiah,

I thought I had previously mentioned it on the post...  I also found that there appears to be a limitation of using this on a "full browser" client, which is what web view emulates.  The functionality works well with IE Plugin and have not been successful in determining if it is a limitation with the input field, which is what I suspect.

mastankomatla21
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Simon,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have 7 fields in my data model(contains only one table) and I just want to search multiple values in a particular field(ex: Serial number) Only One field is enough with multiple values search, if possible please suggest your valuable method.

Thanks,

Mastan

0 Likes
ysj
Creator
Creator

nice one

0 Likes
Version history
Last update:
‎2014-01-07 06:41 PM
Updated by: