Skip to main content
Announcements
Document boards are being consolidated, this board no longer allows NEW documents READ MORE

QlikView App: Set Variable with an Action on a Button

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

QlikView App: Set Variable with an Action on a Button

Last Update:

May 29, 2013 6:49:55 PM

Updated By:

stevedark

Created date:

May 29, 2013 6:49:55 PM

Attachments

This example shows how to set a variable using an action on a text box.  That same variable is used to dynamically change the colour of the text box - feeding back that a selection has been made.

The variables once set can be used as part of expressions (including set analysis) or for determining layout - such as showing or hiding certain objects or tabs.

The QlikView was originally written as a response to the following QlikCommunity thread:

http://community.qlik.com/message/209378

I expand on the use of Actions on buttons, text areas and gagues in my blog post on the subject: QlikView Buttons - Where, Why and How

Steve Dark

www.quickintelligence.co.uk

Labels (1)
Comments
Not applicable

Hi Steve, thanks for the tutorial. I am running into problems when I add a 'select field' action to the button. When I click on the tool bar clear button, it remains on the previous variable selected (thus the button is highlighted) but it is misleading because it has cleared the selection. Is there anyway to set the clear button to clear the variable state?

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Lin,

You can use the GetFieldSelections function to check the current state of selections in that field:

=if(GetFieldSelections(YourFieldName) = 'Field Value', $(vColHighlight), $(vColNoHighlight))

You will need to have two variables set up with the colours in for this to work.  It has the advantage that if a user makes a selection without using the button it will also show.

It can get a bit fiddly if your button makes multiple selections in a field, or selections in multiple fields - but you can tend to get the logic correct eventually.

Another route is to set up a trigger on the field state - but I would not recommend this approach if you can avoid it.

I've created a post with a lot more detail on buttons, including a video demonstrating their use, at QlikView App: At The Qlik Of A Button - this may give you some more ideas.

Steve

Not applicable

Hi Steve,

That is awesome! Thank you, I've bee trying to figure this out for a few days. I will share this with my colleagues. Thank you!

Lin

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Glad you think it's awesome. 

There's usually a way of achieving what you are after if you break the problem down into parts and it off a bit at a time.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Steve,

This is very nice & really helpful to my work which I am looking for..Thanks

Version history
Last update:
‎2013-05-29 06:49 PM
Updated by: