Documents for QlikView related information.
this example shows basically how you could read COBOL sources directly via JDBC.
You need tho following things:
1. the QlikView JDBC Connector: http://jdbcconnector.com
2. the HXTT Cobol JDBC driver: http://www.hxtt.com/cobol.html
2. the COBOL files (.DAT, .IDX, .CPY, .FD), the copybook file or other structural information is required.
The example loads the employee master audit file (PR22EMA.DAT) from the Deltek solution GCS Premier.
Some more hints:
- in some cases you have to square bracket the columns names manuelly: [YOUR-COBOL-COLUMN-NAME]
- sometimes field groupes get not un-nested by the driver: you can specify the grouped fields directly as listed in the .FD file
- columns with "occurs" clause get concatenated: XYZ OCCURS 5 TIMES -> returns as value "[0,0,0,0,0]"
Update: this seems not to work in all cases, sometimes it returns a JAVA_OBJECT. In this case you have to address
column by index to unnest: SELECT XYZ(0) as XYZ1, XYZ(1) as XYZ2 .. XYZ(4) as XYZ5 ...
Please download the newest HXTT COBOL driver here: http://www.hxtt.com/cobol.zip
I've got a random file created in cobol from a client.
I installed on my laptop the jdbc connector and added in it the library found within the hxtt cobol (Cobol_JDBC30.jar).
Within qlikview, i select in the edit script the JDBCConnector_x64.dll, but it is asking for a URL.
Can you provide some tips on how to create this url ?
I tried some combinations but I was getting a message like jvm.dll cannot be loaded and it's not properly configured.
Any hint ?
I've also posted a related question in the community:
you will find everything on the HXTT site:
installation.html - HXTT Cobol JDBC Drivers for Cobol FB VB data file v2.0
It's very dependend on the COBOL dialect.
I've tried to download the files, but I cannot connect COBOL with Qlik. It gives me an error: it says that aren't suitable driver found for my file. How can I do?
this is very likely a configuration issue. Connact me directly to get help: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi, When i used file *.dat dont work. Somebody help me
Hi, do you literally try to use *.dat? I guess you'll need the full filename.
Thanks for you answer, Any file with extension .dat of cobol dont work. When i work with file with extension .fd work so fine, but no with extension .dat or .idx
You will also need the copybook file for the record structure..
do you have an example, what type of extension is a copybook file? thanks a lot