Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

SQL Writeback from QlikView extension object.

Luminary
Luminary

SQL Writeback from QlikView extension object.

This example demonstrates the SQL WriteBack capability of QlikView via the use of an Extension object. It can be useful for passing a filtered subset of data to a database, writing a comment to a record or simply amend/correct something in the database. Since there’s no open source code available I decided to write this example in my free time to make it available for everyone just like me trying to achieve a writing back functionality to a database. Hopefully this might be useful to some.

Please note that this example was created to be as simple as possible and does not serve to fill in any business necessities. It should rather demonstrate that it works and provide the code for free to anyone who wants to extent it to his own business needs.

A detailed installation guide is included in the .zip file.

functionality.jpg

I will try to support and answer as many questions as possible in the comments.

Thanks,

Martin

Labels (2)
Attachments
Comments
Not applicable

Martin,

Thanks for the example.  I have followed your instructions and have installed it.  I can test the service manually as per your instructions, but when I try to use through QlikView or the AccessPoint I get the server error from your script.js file. 

I've modified the http:// line in the script.js to correspond to my machine and confirmed the proper extension usage by editing your error message to make sure it's using the one I'm editing.  🙂

Any ideas on what it might be?

Greg.

0 Likes
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Greg,

First of all apologies for replying late - I didn't get any notifications from the website that a comment was posted.

So from your post I see you've successfully created the WCF WebService and got it running. You also implemented the QlikView extension which shows up on my demo qvw application in Webview, however when you try to make a postback you get an error, is that correct?

Can you specify the error description, maybe even the line where the error occurs?
When you say you get a server error from my script.js file - you mean the WebService stops working and throws the error or you get a pop-up message within the QlikView AJAX client?

Let me know and I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this

manojkvrajan
Contributor III

Thank you Martin for the excellent Tutorial. I enjoyed learning QV Extension object.

Marcio_Campestrini
Valued Contributor

Martin, can I use my own webservice to be consumed?

0 Likes
Luminary
Luminary

Anything - attached in the document you can find the code necessary to write a post back to a database.

0 Likes
Marcio_Campestrini
Valued Contributor

Martin,

I've tried to execute the webservice but I got status 0. If I test the webservice outside Qlikview it Works. I'm trying but I can't see what is wrong.

0 Likes
Luminary
Luminary

Are you using my code for your webservice or your own? Can you show me a screenshot of that error?

0 Likes
NickHoff
Valued Contributor

Martin,

I've been able to successfully launch the Write Back web application using IIS7.  However, when I click the extension button in Qlikview to "Make Entry".  It gives me the error message Server error - entry was not made, which is in the script file for a failure.  Will this only work with IIS8?

0 Likes
Luminary
Luminary

Make sure the connection string (username, password, domain etc.) to the SQL Server are set properly in the web config of the web service.

For debugging the web service communication I recommend using Fiddler2.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi

What version of Visual Studio do I need for the WCF example?

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2014-02-22 09:41 AM
Updated by: