Qlik Community

Ask a Question

QlikView Documents

QlikView documentation and resources.

Announcements
Support Cases coming to Qlik Community Oct. 4! Start chats, open cases, explore resources: READ DETAILS

Show negative values on Charts

Kushal_Chawda

Show negative values on Charts

Hi,

I have seen many posts on community for showing negative values on charts like Block chart, pie chart etc. There is a solution available on community, but I thought to create the document so that everyone can utilize the same.

Lets say I have below data set

LOAD * INLINE [
Country, Score
US, 4971.765
UK, 4782.54
Japan, -200.941
India, 1412.181
Russia, 2445.292
]
;

Now I want to create the Block chart with above data set. So create the block chart with dimension as country and expression as sum(Score) , as soon as you create the chart you will get the error message that "positive and negative values in chart". But you can still display the negative values on chart with slight modification in expression.

Steps to create the block chart with negative value

1) Create the block chart

Dimension : Country

Expression : dual(sum(Score),fabs(sum(Score)))

If you want to display the distribution in % then use below expression

dual(num(sum(Score)/sum(TOTAL Score),'#0.00%'),fabs(sum(Score)))

Using dual function you can display the negative value with the base as positive value.

2) Go to chart properties -> Number Tab and check the Number format setting always as "Expression default". If the number format setting is not the expression default then negative values will be displayed as positive and also data will be displayed in wrong format. So if you want to provide any format like %, money you can define in the Dual expression itself using num function

Please see the attached application. In this application I have used the Fast change option so that you can see the results for multiple chart type as well

Untitled.jpg

see also,

Control Chart

Benford's law

Bollinger Bands

Rolling N months

Regards,

Kushal

Attachments
Comments
HirisH_V7
Master
Master

Most Helpful!  🙂

0 Likes
sevvaldeger
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have a field called expenses so all the values are negative. I want to show these values in a pie chart but I dont wnat them to be displayed as negative values. Because all the values are negative and the chart will be called expenses so it doesnt really make sense to display them with minus in front. Do you know how to do that? Im not native in English so I hope I explained myself properly. Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2016-04-02 06:33 AM
Updated by: