Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

When QlikView meets Pokémon

Luminary
Luminary

When QlikView meets Pokémon

Some people build QlikView dashboards to review the financial outcomes of their companies. Others use it to monitor their everyday operations in plants and warehouses. There are individuals who even create applications to analyze fun stuff like the Olympic Games or TV Series. In my opinion, QlikView should be exclusively used to answer humanity’s greatest inquiries and analyze relevant topics that affect our lives and our future; important things such as Pokémon

When I was a kid, I used to play Pokémon games all the time. Blue, Yellow, Silver, Sapphire, Stadium, Snap, Pinball, Trading Card Game, you name it. And well, since everyone’s going a little crazy about Pokémon Go these days, I decided to create a QlikView document based on the original 151 Pokémon in the first generation.

27_01.png

Check the full post here: When QlikView meets Pokémon | Qlik Freak

About the app

The first interesting thing about this app is that all the data comes from http://pokeapi.co/ using the Qlik REST Connector. At first I thought it was going to be difficult, but it’s as simple as creating an OLE DB connection. You just type in the address and the server will respond with a JSON structure that can be easily interpreted by the connector. After that, it’s QlikView as usual.

I only added some variables and a FOR cycle so I could read several tables (one for each Pokémon) without manually modifying the connection string. For more references, go to the QVD Generator included in the materials.

27_26.png

By the way, if you want to add extra tables to the data model, be sure to check PokeAPI in detail. They have a lot of information that you can retrieve in the same QVD Generator and make this app even better.

Quick Tour

I’m sure you’ve already downloaded and opened the app by now, but let me give you a quick tour around it:

Dashboard: This is the first step of our journey! The opening tab displays general information about all the Pokémon in Gen 1 like the types, chains, forms and habitats.

27_27.png27_27

Pokémon: This one is one of my favorites. The second sheet gives you all the information you need about a Pokémon. From its weight and height to all of its stats or even the moves it can learn. Use the arrows to navigate or just look for your favorite Pokémon with the search button.

27_28.png

Stats: If you’re really trying to become the very best (like no one ever was), the Stats tab will help you recruit an appropriate team.

27_29.png

Scatter: You know me too well, no QlikFreak app is complete until it gets a scatterplot!

27_30.png

Histogram: A simple, yet powerful visualization. If you’re not familiar with these charts, why don’t you take a look at this post?

27_31.png

Moves: Now, now… Which Psychic moves with high power and accuracy can my Fire Pokémon learn? Wait, is that possible?

27_32.png

Pokédex: To be honest, I get a little excited every time I see this tab. Since I’m not very fond to JavaScript, I asked my lifelong friend and colleague, Alejandro Morales a.k.a. alejandro.evolcon, to help me out with an extension object. Don’t forget to install the QAR and turn on the Web View first! (Detailed instructions in the README file). By the way, have you seen his projects in Qlik Branch? They’re pretty cool!

Video Link : 4557

Hope you like it. Enojy!

Julián Villafuerte (@QlikFreak)

http://branch.qlik.com/#!/project/57b206b4b6d72bdc88c25b26

Attachments
Comments
santiago_respane
Valued Contributor

Excellent contribution!

I've never played the game but this a really good way to show that with QV we can do everything!

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

Splendid work..

0 Likes
tracysmart
Contributor

This is great! I will show to my kids later, they will think its really cool

0 Likes
Not applicable

Great work Julian!

0 Likes
carbal1952
Contributor II

The end of the world is near !

0 Likes
joaquinlr
Valued Contributor II

Hi Julián:

My 13 years old twins are very thankful of your work, of course I'm very thankful too.

Great job,

Joaquín

0 Likes
joaquinlr
Valued Contributor II

Hi Julian:

Somedays ago NIANTIC change some values from some pokemons, to get these new values into your app is enough to reload the qvd generator and then the app ?

Thank you

Joaquín

0 Likes
Luminary
Luminary

Yep. It might take a while, but it will update all the information availabe!

0 Likes
joaquinlr
Valued Contributor II

Hi Julian, you're so kind.

I will suggest you create two new sheets, they will be very interesting:

a) Arena sheet. Choose a defensive pokemon and introduce the Combat Points choose an ofensive pokemon and introduce the Combat Points. The app should simulate the fight score using the values of both pokemons.

b) Radar sheet. Introduce a latitud and a longitud values, reload and show the pokemons near with a google maps picture !!!

Well, the second one it would be so difficult.

Thanks again

Joaquín

0 Likes
tpiscaglia
New Contributor

I think this is the coolest thing I've ever seen done with Qlik.  Well done!

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2016-08-15 11:12 AM
Updated by: