Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements
Save the Date: QlikWorld Online, June 24-25, 2020. Free global virtual event for data integration and data analytic gurus. Register Today

Why Comparative Analysis - Technical Brief.pdf

Partner
Partner

Why Comparative Analysis - Technical Brief.pdf

Comparative Analysis is one of the uniqueness of QlikView.  It is a way to analyze data based on sets of multiple values (group comparison).   It is not a comparison between two items such as Company A vs Company B.  It is all about you, the user, creating customized groups on demand. 

Learn what comparative analysis is all about and how you can set it in your application.  This technical brief includes step-by-step instructions.

Here is a recording of how Comparative Analysis works. 

See my blog post on this topic also.

Shima

Attachments
Comments

Shima

Brilliant pdf, many thanks.

On page 8 though you have expression.

• Avg({[Group 1]<[Year] = $::[Year], [Month] = $::[Month]>} [Adj. Close])

What does the $:: do ?

I have tried searching for it, but I think the non proper word / characters messes up the search.

Best Regards,     Bill

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

Hi Bill,

When you use an alternate state, it ignores the "default" data association, and it defines its own data model (a copy of the default one).  However, if you'd like to reuse the "default" data association such as Year, Month or any other common fields, then you can use them for the alternate state groups by using $::. 

Let's say I have Group A as an alternate state. If I want to use a field called Year in a list box, then I will need to create a new list box for "Year" and set the alternate state to be "Group A".  Instead, if I want to have the "Year" field from other sheets (default) to carry over to my alternate state group "Group A", then I can still use the default "Year" field list box to apply to my "Group A" by using "$::".  Otherwise, the default Year field would not affect your expression of "Group A".  It is simply ignored.

I hope this helps!

Shima

Valued Contributor II

Hi Shima:

Great job.

Soon I will prepare a qvw with Alternate States. Thank you

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

A very good document.

thnanks for share

0 Likes