Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petgr138
Partner - Contributor III

Read/Write to file

Hi,

I am new to extension objects and I am trying to find the answer to the rather basic question about file I/O.

Is it possible to read/write to a file through a QV-extension object and if it is, could I get some pointers on what functions to use and where to find the documentation about them?

Thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Short answer: you can't. Extension objects are primarily written in javascript that's executed in the browser. it would be a major security flaw if your browser could create files on your local computer.

Create a webservice and talk with that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Short answer: you can't. Extension objects are primarily written in javascript that's executed in the browser. it would be a major security flaw if your browser could create files on your local computer.

Create a webservice and talk with that.

whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

Google the words: Client-Side Storage - HTML5 Rocks

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Just a word of warning as you would be operating with computer specific key value pairs without any transactional security if you go the localstorage route.

The IndexedDB api could be interesting but that would rule out IE9 and below and Safari.

petgr138
Author

Hi,

I was afraid this would be the case so I will find a different solution to my problem.

Thanks for your replies!