Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Visualization of Graph Data

Hi all,

I started to develop an extension for graph visualization based on the Graph Dracula Library, using Raphael: http://www.graphdracula.net

This seems to be an interesting topic. First of all, what is the best data representation of graph data in a relational QlikView world? Second, there are a lot of limitations using those JavaScript libs. I've tried some before (D3.js etc.) but Dracula seems to have the simplest interface for my use case.

What is your opinion?

- Ralf

GraphDracula01.png

GraphDracula02.png

Astrato.io Head of R&D
86 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP
Author

Hi all,

this is an overhauled version of the extension. I've changed the labeling and added nodes color control for better visualization.

GraphDracula03.png

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ralf,

That's a great extension to use.

I have few questions, could you please help me out here.

1.Could you help me define on how many second nodes are to be plotted. Like for one movie, if I have more then 100 actors, I would like to plot only the 100 actors and not plot the others.

2.I see that there is a tool tip function already defined in the script, could you help me call that function. What i am looking for is to provide additional information in the tooltip, like the total sales, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Aadil.

rbecher
MVP
MVP
Author

Hi Aadil,

thanks. Do you mean to have max. 100 second nodes at all or max. 100 child nodes by parent node? The second case would be much more complex. You would need to build a temp array to store the amount of child nodes by parent node during the rendering and skip if max. amount is reached. I think this is a good idea and I will make some more thoughts on it for this version.

I'm working on a new version for a while which will have node selection possibility and also switches node size on a threshold of 50 nodes to prevent to get too crowded. It has tooltip also.

GraphDracula_v2.png

Click a Node to select a Node additive.

Use Alt-Click to clear selection and select a new Node (best to select Child Nodes).

Use Ctrl-Click for dragging Nodes.

You can play around with it but the developement is not really finished yet.

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response Ralf.

I sure will look into this.

Thanks again,

Aadil

rbecher
MVP
MVP
Author

Now I have developed another graph extension based on Sigma.js (www.sigmajs.org). This is a first version you can play with:

SigmaGraphExtension.jpg

The graph drawing is much faster now. However it is more complicated to get a useful graph layout. I'm still working on this.

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable

Dear Ralf,

Apologies for my naivety but pl help me out. I want to know if the SigmaGraph.qar is an extension to QlikView that I can use for visualization in a new QlikView chart with a neo4J data. Or is it specific to this example that you have loaded. If so can you pl tell us how to do similar for the ones we wish to do.

Sorry once again for the trouble and naivety.

Regards,

Karthik

rbecher
MVP
MVP
Author

Dear Karthik,

yes, SigmaGraph.qar is an object extension you can use in QlikView, for free. You can adapt the example to your data. That means you have to set the extension dimensions and measures to your fields in the properties dialog.

Regarding Neo4j data, the example uses our product JDBC Connector to connect Neo4j graph database and to execute Cypher queries to retrieve data from nodes and edges of the graph.

Regards,

Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable

Hi There Ralf. May I ask you for a favor, please? Would you mind listing the version of the Neo4J software you are using to get your SigmaGraph App (2/17/14) to function properly? I would really love to see this app in action.

For my part, I downloaded the zipped Cineast data, your QV SigmaGraph qvw and SigmaGraph.qar, the Neo4j Server (2.0.1) and the corresponding Neo4J JDBC Drivers. After trial and error (version compatibility errors), I set allow_store_upgrade=true in the neo4j.properties file and removed the '?' symbols from the queries in the QV Script to get the data to load without errors. Everything loaded - except for the Actor/Director list box. So, I am not able to view the graph. Any ideas? Have you tried your QV Sigma App with the newer Neo4J releases?

Thanks in advance, Tai.

rbecher
MVP
MVP
Author

Hi Tai,

indeed, the LOAD script part was developed with an older Neo4j version, I guess it was v1.7. I need to overhaul it a bit.. However, if you download the QVW file and install the extension you will not need to reload the data. You can just see how the SigmaGraph.qar extension will work.

If you're really interested to use our JDBC Connector to retrieve data from Neo4j v2 we have to setup a test case. Just drop me a line: ralf.becher@tiq-solutions.de

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D