Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to use extensions

dear all,

Sorry for this basic and silly questions.

I found in qlikview installation folder there was folder name "Extensions" with the .qar file contents. My questions are:

1. What is that exactly? is it an additional chart object that i can use in QVW?

2. How to use that .qar file?

3. How to build/create .qar?

4. Is there any manual/tutorial for this?

Thank you..

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Hope this answers your questions

1. With extensions you can create custom charts written in javascript, flash or vb. Once integrated this visualizations can take advantage of QV's capabilities.

2. The .qar files can be used by double clicking them, by doing this you will install them and be able to see them while in web view.

3. The .qar file is like a Qlikview zip that has all of the information needed to display the extension (script, definition, icon, properties and/or external files)

4. If you go to the qlikview page, click on find training and search for extensions, there's very  helpful information there.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Hope this answers your questions

1. With extensions you can create custom charts written in javascript, flash or vb. Once integrated this visualizations can take advantage of QV's capabilities.

2. The .qar files can be used by double clicking them, by doing this you will install them and be able to see them while in web view.

3. The .qar file is like a Qlikview zip that has all of the information needed to display the extension (script, definition, icon, properties and/or external files)

4. If you go to the qlikview page, click on find training and search for extensions, there's very  helpful information there.

Best regards,

Not applicable
Author

hi,

Thank you for your reply. I'll learn more detail again on this.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Do you know how create this qar file? I know that can be open using any unzip or unrar program, but I am wondering how can we create one in a way that with a double click you can install it, in this way would be a easy to install and deploy extensions.

Best regards,

VMR

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Vasco,

just rename a zip file to qar. Indeed, it is a zip file!

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

It is the opposite procedure zip the folder and change the extension from .zip to .qar

🙂

Regards

Not applicable
Author

Wow! Quite simple then... I thought that would be some kind of external tool!

Thanks,

Regards

VMR

Not applicable
Author

Also, you should know that in QlikView 10 double clicking an extension will install the extension for use by QlikView Desktop, but if you want to use the extension in a document opened via QVS you must install the extension manually.

Here is the complete listing of directories the extensions get stored in (by operating system):

• Windows 7 & Server 2008
    ○ Desktop
        C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\QlikTech\QlikView\Extensions\Objects
    ○ Server
        C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Extensions\Objects

• Windows XP & Server 2003
    ○ Desktop
        C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView\Extensions\Objects
    ○ Server
        C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Extensions\Objects

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I have created an extension and wants to send the code to my co-workers so I created a .qar file as per the instructions mentioned in this post. When my co-workers double clicked on the qar file, qlikview did copy all files into the /extensions/objects folder but since another sub-folder was not created with the extension name, they are getting error message in qlikview and the .qvw file is not showing any extensions in there.

So my question is, how to create a qar file which will create a sub-folder before extracting script files?

ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

ok these are the possible paths to where I install the extension but how do I install it in one of these paths?

I can walk on water when it freezes