Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Recommendations for integrating route optimization?

My data includes locations, so given several of those locations, I want to know what's the best way to determine the most optimal route between them. Is there a way to do this with the Google Map extension in QlikView, or is this best done outside of QlikView? Suggestions much appreciated!

7 Replies
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Hi Lan,

I have worked a little bit with route optimization before and it's hard to say without knowing the complexity of your data set.

Google does it ok for ground based routes but that's about it. If by optimal you mean going from point A to the next location in terms of distance then yes Google might be a viable alternative. QlikView could easily just sort the lat and long values to determine that for you and then let google handle the transit paths.

Usually with the more advanced data sets you would calculate the optimal route based on several variables in a external route optimization tool and then use that optimized data set to visualize in QlikView. For example you would need to take into account stock inventory, warehouse placement, how to load your truck etc etc.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Alexander! Sorry I didn't clarify before - my location data is both addresses (street information, city, and state) and coordinates (longitude and latitude).

And yes, I am looking for ground based driving directions. Is the Google Maps API still a viable solution, or is there a different extension that would work better?

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Yes together with the directions api that could be a viable solution.

If you could share a small sample of your data set I could try putting something together. It won't be production class code but atleast you would get an idea on how it would look and perform.

Either if you can share it here or send over e-mail to akl@qliktech.com

Not applicable
Author

Here is a small sample of my data (I emailed you a larger set):

Site_Address1Site_Address2Site_CitySite_StateSite_5_digit_zip_codelatitudelongitude
864 W Stearns RdSte 103BartlettIL6010341.97583-88.199
1200 GROVE STREET CTSTE ECHATTANOOGATN3740235.04374-85.3178
1301 W 38TH STSTE 514AUSTINTX7870530.30664-97.7466
501 MORRIS
  ST
CHARLESTONWV2530138.34739-81.626
11721 FUQUA
  ST
HOUSTONTX7703429.621-95.2102

Thank you!

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lan,

The latest release of IdevioMaps features basic route optimization (IdevioMaps, route optimization, if you want you can try it out. How many stops do you want to optimize?

Thanks

Patric Nordström

(disclaimer: I work for Idevio)

Not applicable
Author

Hi Patric. Thanks for the suggestion, this looks interesting. The number of stops would be about 5 and beginning from a static starting point.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lan, sounds like a good match, we handle up to 15-20 stops with a normal client. Thanks, Patric