cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Itachi
Contributor
Contributor

Thoughts on Qlik vs PowerBI?

We’re currently evaluating viz platform vendors, and these are the two front runners. Does anyone have any experience with these platforms?

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

IMO PowerBI extends a bit the capabilities of Excel but I wouldn't regard it as a BI tool.

- Marcus

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Hi @marcus_sommer ,

I am bit surprised and curious to see your comment -

@Marcus_sommer wrote:

... I wouldn't regard it as a BI tool.

We have a bias for Qlik here. But not considering PBI as BI tool.... is something very interesting specially when it comes from someone seasoned like you. Would you mind to share the points why you thinks so? May be we didn't think thus far and your points will help us defend ourselves in similar product-comparison discussions.

-Thanks  

marcus_sommer

I must admit that I'm not very experienced with PowerBI because I don't have any use-case for it. My assessment comes from an external introduction by a microsoft-partner and some internal training in which many for our data-processing relevant questions couldn't be answered and/or they meant it's not possible/sensible.

Nevertheless some of our colleagues use it and I see how they struggle to get to work and especially if it comes to more complex datasets or datasets near to 1M of records or above it.

For not too large single applications PowerBI may sufficient and through the integration within the MS office easier to apply for the most user. But from my point of view to develop, maintain and administer a reporting environment it's not enough.

- Marcus

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Thank you @marcus_sommer  for sharing your experience and thoughts.

I too don't have much knowledge/experience in PBI and with this limited exposure - I faced initially a bit difficulty in development specially because it is unlike qlik; association works bit differently there; and of course a bit of struggle with the DAX. However, these are the areas could be specific to people like us from Qlik background or other and less exposure/experience to DAX. I couldn't spend enough time to be neutralized and have the experience though, so wouldn't say 'this is how PBI is', but it appeared to me so.

However, with respect to the data size and performance - I have the same experience; PBI (and even Tableau - I have worked for fair amount of time with) lags by a substantial degree.