Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

differentiate between embedded QV and stand alone Installaion of QV

Hi,

I need to differentiate between my Embedded QV (OCX) in App and any other stand alone QV installation so I can prevent the QVW file created by embedded QV from opening in stand alone installation of QV.

I wanted to use "Serial" of Section access but there is some technical issues in using "Serial".

I wanted to use user Id and password of my App in the section access but because my scripts connects to database using ODBC so it does not matter whether the QVW is executed by Embedded QV or stand alone QV, it will have access to user id and password regardless.

All other options available for Section Access like Domain user id etc are checked by QlikView internally and that will also turn out to be same for embedded and stand alone QV both

Can any one of you help me here with some idea?

Saurabh

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Koch
Employee
Employee

Ramya,

As we discussed last week, with the embedded OCX there is no serial number to associate in section access; but you can use section access and have your OCX application pass in the userid and a “secret” password. If someone tries to open the QVW file with QlikView desktop they will be challenged and asked to enter a valid user and password – which only your application OCX knows.

Jeff

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jeff_Koch
Employee
Employee

Ramya,

As we discussed last week, with the embedded OCX there is no serial number to associate in section access; but you can use section access and have your OCX application pass in the userid and a “secret” password. If someone tries to open the QVW file with QlikView desktop they will be challenged and asked to enter a valid user and password – which only your application OCX knows.

Jeff

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

I am also counting on the same i.e. secure it with complex user id and password. The only thing that concerns me a little is...All users will have same ID and password.

I have no idea if that is a very safe approach.

I am just trying to find if there is anyway i can have different user id and password for each user but I have not found any way for that yet.

Saurabh

Jeff_Koch
Employee
Employee

Hi Saurabh,

Section access can support multiple users each with a unique userid and password.

But to better secure the QlikView QVW file outside of the OCX application you need to control the password so the user doesn’t take a copy of the QVW file and try to open it with QlikView Desktop or on another QlikView Server get a challenge for a userid and password and simply enter his credentials.

There are several approaches that you can take to do this.

Regards,

Jeff