Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Advantages of button over text object

Is there any advantages of using a button over a text object? I'm new this qlik and I've been creating a bunch of text object to be used as a button. I've tried buttons but I don't see any advantages to them. Is there a situation where you would use a button over a text object?

5 Replies
sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

As per I know i think the text object are much used for the actions they have and replaces the Buttons.

Where as text objects can be used for the text notes and and messages place holder but not the Buttons.

Buttons provide much clear design and look as compared to text.

May be the memory level values differ for the two.

avinashelite

Hi Leo,

As per my knowledge Text objects are more used than buttons, both have almost similar feature except the look and feel. The Clickable action in the text object may not to so user friendly where as in the button you have the action look and feel..... Text object you can add text msg where as in  the button it might not look good.

So based in the requirement both has its own advantage and disadvantage

hariprasadqv
Creator III
Creator III

Except look and feel both are similar kind in doing actions.

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

If you want to provide Click-able solution button will be better choice as user instinctively will assign this action to this object.

Text object as the name suggest should be used for notes and comments.

You can change appearance of both but the principle of design will remain.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The advantage for a Button is that it has an Enable Property. You can use an expression in the property to make the button disabled (grayed out but visible, not clickable) or enabled.

The text object has more options for styling. The Enable equivalent for a Text Object may be to make the object invisible using a Show Condition, but you lose the visibility as a hint.  You can style the Text Object to appear "grayed out", but you can't suppress the Click Action like you can with a Button.

If I want to use the enable/disable action metaphor, I use a button. Otherwise I usually prefer a Text Object for the richer styling.

One other obscure difference is the default Layer property. Buttons are assigned "Normal" as they are reasonably anticipated to be combined with other objects such as charts. Text Object are assigned a default Layer of "Bottom" which can make them disappear when combined with charts. Like I said, obscure difference because you can always adjust the Layer to fix the issue. But it feels that Buttons seem to assume their rightful layer automatically.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://robwunderlich.com