Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyquirin
Partner - Contributor III

Auto-Advance Tabs (on timer)

Hey QlikView Community,

I've been asked to put together a dashboard that would be projected on a wall and display a variety of different metrics. It's way to much to put on a single tab, and would have to be broken out into several.

Is there a way for a dashboard to automatically rotate through a series of tabs all day without any human interaction? Basically having 10 tabs that change at 2 minute intervals then return to the first tab at the end.

Any help is much appreciated!! Happy Halloween!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wms_manis

I have done this before using a combination of variable and conditional shows on the tabs.

Define the variable:

vModTime=mod(Minute(now()),4)

Every Minute the value changes and then use conditional shows on each tab.

=$(vModTimer)=0

=$(vModTimer)=1

=$(vModTimer)=2

=$(vModTimer)=3

Give that a try.

Wade

www.serviambi.com

View solution in original post

11 Replies
wms_manis

I have done this before using a combination of variable and conditional shows on the tabs.

Define the variable:

vModTime=mod(Minute(now()),4)

Every Minute the value changes and then use conditional shows on each tab.

=$(vModTimer)=0

=$(vModTimer)=1

=$(vModTimer)=2

=$(vModTimer)=3

Give that a try.

Wade

www.serviambi.com

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Hi Andy,

Do like what Wade says above, however to test it's what you want, change the Variable to

vModTime=mod(Second(now()),4)

It will change every second, it will save you waiting a minute for each to change

and then if you are happy that's what you need, change the variable back to mod(Minute(Now()),4)

HTH

Al

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Note: using functions with NOW() etc... can slow down the App and use up valuable RAM

wms_manis

I agree and almost stated that now() can be a memory hog and create performance issues.  However, for unattended interaction, it may not hurt too.

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

I agree with you too, if not interacted it should be fine

andyquirin
Author

Hey Alan and Wade,

I just implemented your suggestions and I feel I'm 95% of the way there.

I pushed the dash to test (with the variable timer set to seconds) to see how it worked. I'm noticing the dash is only advances when it's clicked on and isn't advancing automatically.

Did you guys run into the same issue? Is there something I'm overlooking so the conditional tabs are calculated on the fly and don't wait for someone to click the dash for it to advance?

Best,

Andy

Not applicable

What type Pulgin you are using ?

The now() function won't call every second on the AJAX Client

andyquirin
Author

IE works - thank you sir!

andyquirin
Author

Part II of our Auto-Advance adventure:

I got the requirement to work by using a variable vModTime=mod(Minute(now()),10)+1 where 10 is the number of slides that I have. I couple this with a document Trigger, under Variable Event Triggers 'OnChange' ='Document\SH0'&vModTime.

This advances to the next slide when the minute changes.

Here's the trick - I've been asked to speed it up so it advances every 30 seconds.

How would you do it for 10 slides? If I used vModTime=mod(second(now()),x)+1, x can only be a max of 60...

Any help? Wade Manis @Alan Farrel