Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calculated Dimension... based on condition...

Hi,

I have a dataset containing the ages of a bunch of people. I also have these linked to Age Groups, i.e 0-10, 11-20, 21-30 etc etc. I have multiple Age Group Types, so the age group type described previously was 10 year incremental, but i also have a 5 year incremental group (0-5, 6-10, 11-15 etc etc), plus others.

I have a chart with the dimensions AgeGroup & Gender. The expression is a simple count.

For the chart to display correctly, i need to either select a single AgeGroupType, Or, Add the equivalent set analysis into my expression. What i WANT to acheive is...

If a single AgeGroupType is NOT selected then by default use AgeGroupType X, else use whatever AgeGroupType is selected.

I've tried building an 'If' statement into my expression but it just didnt work. it was something like...

If(Count({$} Distinct [AgeGroupTypeName])=5

//Then

,Count(DISTINCT{$<AgeGroupTypeName={'Ten-year intevals'}>}EpisodeId)

//Else

,Count(DISTINCT{$}EpisodeId)

Thanks,

-Mathew

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

You could try this:

If(GetSelectedCount(AgeGroupTypeName) <> 1,

Count({<AgeGroupTypeName = {'Ten-year intervals'}>} DISTINCT EpisodeId),

Count({<AgeGroupTypeName = {"$(=GetFieldSelections(AgeGroupTypeName))"}>} DISTINCT EpisodeId))

This should use 'Ten-year intervals' unless exactly one AgeGroupTypeName is selected, in whih case it should use the selecetd one.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

You could try this:

If(GetSelectedCount(AgeGroupTypeName) <> 1,

Count({<AgeGroupTypeName = {'Ten-year intervals'}>} DISTINCT EpisodeId),

Count({<AgeGroupTypeName = {"$(=GetFieldSelections(AgeGroupTypeName))"}>} DISTINCT EpisodeId))

This should use 'Ten-year intervals' unless exactly one AgeGroupTypeName is selected, in whih case it should use the selecetd one.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Awesome Thanks Jonathan. I was on the right track i just needed guiding.

Ferran_Garcia_Pagans
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Mathew,

I would create a table for diferent kind of age goups.

Now you can control if there is a age group type selected or not in the chart:

Finally you can use conditional view for the diferent age groups in the dimension sheet.

I used this expression.

=SubStringCount(Concat(_dimension, '|'), 'Grupo 1')

I've developed a very small example to test it. If you send me an email I can send you by email.

I found this technique in this demo:

http://eu.demo.qlik.com/detail.aspx?appName=Whats%20New%20in%20QlikView11.qvw

Regads, F.