Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calculated dimensions in scattered chart

Hi Community.

After some months following the forum I write my first post hoping someone can help.

I have a large document containing sales data. I defined an expression to calculate a "segment" to each client based on the average monthly sales range for the selected period (months).

I´m trying to draw a graph (not sure scattered/grid) to represent segments on the X axis. Y axis should represent total sales for clients of each segment and bubble diameter represents number of clients in the segment.

The X axis (segments) is defined using a calculated dimension, and maybe this is my problem. I can´t define an expression for Y axis using segment values.

I thought about defining segments in script, but that would make my graph static.

I attach a sample QVW to better explain the scenario.

Hope someone has been in a similar situation and can help where I´m absolutely stuck.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Luis

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Luis,

It seems to me that a few things about your approach need to be revised. First of all, I think you are using the wrong chart type. You are using a grid chart, but should be using a scatter chart (bottom-left icon on the General tab). Second, you should give some thought as to what a "bubble" represents. From your description, it sounds like a bubble should be a Segment. If that's the case, then it does not make sense to have the X-Axis also represent Segment...

Vlad

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try =Aggr(Sum(Sales),Client) as your second calculated dimension

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Luis,

It seems to me that a few things about your approach need to be revised. First of all, I think you are using the wrong chart type. You are using a grid chart, but should be using a scatter chart (bottom-left icon on the General tab). Second, you should give some thought as to what a "bubble" represents. From your description, it sounds like a bubble should be a Segment. If that's the case, then it does not make sense to have the X-Axis also represent Segment...

Vlad

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert.

At first, that expression seemed to work, but the resulting dimension doesn´t aggregate client results. There are two clients in segment E, client 4 (sales 20000) and client 5 (sales 20000), and the graph shows 20000 in total for segment E instead of 40000.

I tried aggregating the results in the expression, but then I get a dimension error, and that´s the point where I was before.

=Sum(Aggr(Sum(Sales),Client))

Not applicable
Author

Hi Vlad

I think I understand what you say. In your approach, data should be represented as in the image I attach.

It makes sense but I think the other representation does it as well and, in theory, it should be possible, and it would if segmentation was in a column in the script instead of calculated in graph dimension.

scatter_chart.jpg

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

At last I followed Vlad´s advice and suggested alternative graphs at it seems that my initial approach wasn´t possible or wasn´t correct.

Thank you!