Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Color Changing based on Distribution

Hello,

I am trying to make a chart such that all of the columns are the same color except for when the report is distributed to various users their particular bar will change color and all other users bars will stay the same.  So when a user logs in to view their report they will see them self as a distinct color.  How can this be achieved?

Capture1.PNG.png

Report is distributed based on users.  When user 130107 logs in they will see them self as a distinct color without anything else changing.

Thank You

8 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

you can try the QVUSER() function.   Try it in a text box function first to see if the value it returns is the same as the User values in your chart. You may need some manipulation of the model or the function to get the same values.

If its the same you can use the 'background color' property of the expression to set the condition. On the expression tab, expand your expression by hitting the + sign and enter a condition like this:

if (  User = QVUSER() , lightred(), blue())

maxgro
MVP
MVP

maybe checking

OSuser( )

Returns a string containing the name of the current user as returned by the operating system.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you both for your input.  I would like to make this less user based.

In this scenario there is a chance that more than 1 user could be assigned the same report.  So, in a sense, 2 different users could be looking at the exact same report and both would have the same column assigned to them, which would be a different color.

The above example that I provided was a bit crude and I apologize.  Here is a better example:

The report is distributed based on geography to different sales reps.  The x-axis now represents various                             geographies. Many users can be assigned to each particular geography - so multiple users will be assigned to geo           '130107'.  So when the users for geo '130107' log in they will see their geo as a distinct color amongst peer geos. Capture1.PNG.png

Thank You.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

You'll need a user field in the data model that associates to the geos. Then what I think may work is :

Substringcount(Concat( distinct [user],';'), qvuser()) > 0

This Will check if the osuser value is in a delimited list of user values associated to each geo in the chart. If it is associated and finds a match then you can colornaccordingly. I'm typing from my phone so can't upload a sample. Does that help?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

First off, let me say that I think this is a very cool idea! Expanding on Jonathan's idea a bit, here's one approach.

// Some sample data

data:

LOAD * INLINE [

Group, Value

A, 100

B, 200

C, 150

D, 300

]

;

// Load every potential userid and their  Group association.

// "red()" is whatever you want the callout color to be

Colors:

LOAD *, red() as GroupColor Inline [

Group, User

A, domain\Ralf

B, domain\Rob

C, domain\Joe

]

;

Assuming a chart with dimension "Group", the Expression Background Color expression in the chart is:

=only({<User={'$(=OsUser())'}>}GroupColor)

The current OsUser()'s Group will be red(), others will use the default because the color expression will return null() for those groups.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Ya wow this is very helpful.  Great ideas from both.  Thank you!

mark_casselman
Creator
Creator

A more simple solution would be opening on a screen where the user selects his region from a list box on a 'data island table'.

Script:

GeoSelector:

LOAD * Inline [

Geography

North

South

East

West

];

Add the GeoSelector field to your first sheet (with the 'only select 1' value option).

Then the background color expression would be:

=if(geo=only(GeoSelector),red(),green())

Not applicable
Author

So I wound up using this in my expression:

=only({$<[GeoLevel]={$(=if(

SubStringCount([GeoLevel],'BOSTON, MA') or

SubStringCount([GeoLevel],'ALBANY, NY') or

SubStringCount([GeoLevel],'BOSTON S, MA') or

SubStringCount([GeoLevel],'HARTFORD, CT') or

SubStringCount([GeoLevel],'BOSTON N, MA') or

SubStringCount([GeoLevel],'MANCHESTER, NH') or

SubStringCount([GeoLevel],'BUFFALO, NY') or

SubStringCount([GeoLevel],'BRONX, NY'),

chr(39)&'BOSTON, MA'&chr(39)&','&

chr(39)&'ALBANY, NY'&chr(39)&','&

chr(39)&'BOSTON S, MA'&chr(39)&','&

chr(39)&'HARTFORD, CT'&chr(39)&','&

chr(39)&'BOSTON N, MA'&chr(39)&','&

chr(39)&'MANCHESTER, NH'&chr(39)&','&

chr(39)&'BUFFALO, NY'&chr(39)&','&

chr(39)&'BRONX, NY'&chr(39)

))}>}[Volume])

And I had several more geographies to group together.  So, I set these GeoLevel clusters into variables and wound up using this as my expression:

=only({$<[GeoLevel]={$(=

if(

vTerrNewEnglandif,

vTerrNewEnglandthen

,if

(vTerrNYNJif,

vTerrNYNJthen,

if(

vTerrPennif,

vTerrPennthen,

if(

vTerrCapitolif,

vTerrCapitolthen,

if(

vTerrGLif,

vTerrGLthen,

'fail')

)))))}>}[Volume])

i have been told that the structuring of the GeoLevel 'clusters' will change.  So I would like add a column that would map back to a geography.  So i will essentially be using a parent column to map back to show the clusters.  For the sake of simplicity here is what my table currently looks like:

GeoLevel                    Value

BOSTON, MA             xx

ALBANY, NY               xx    

BOSTON S, MA          xx

HARTFORD, CT         xx

And I want to transform this into:

GeoLevel                    Parent          Value

BOSTON, MA             NorthEast     xx

ALBANY, NY               NorthEast     xx    

BOSTON S, MA          NorthEast     xx

HARTFORD, CT         NorthEast     xx

And so what I want to say in my expression is that if a GeoLevel is selected then show all of the GeoLevels in that Parent.  How would I go about doing this??

Thank You!!