Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Condition for the display of textboxes

Hi,

in a straight table object in my current document, I have some white textboxes to generate blank space inbetween the rows because I know no better way to do that without influencing performance - the better way might be to load the already loaded table again, group it by what_is_my_dimension and introduce one blank line inbetween every two of those groups, but that would cost me performance.

For now, I would like to condition the display of those blank textboxes so that they only appear when I have enough values selected on my dimension_axis that there is a data_cell above it and one below. Otherwise, the white textboxes would show on the background_image.

I imagine something like >Getselectedcount(field)=7< - I can get that value displayed in a textbox, but somehow I cannot seem to get the condition for a textbox right so that it is displayed only when the condition is true.

Moreover, I cannot specify the field for the >Getselectedcount< because I have a drilldown group as dimension - so depending on the "level", the field to query for the nr. of selected values is different.

Can anybody lend me a hand here?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps using a combination of getcurrentfield and getselectedcount

if( getcurrentfield(MyGroup) = field1, if(getselectedcount(field1)=7,1,

if( getcurrentfield(MyGroup) = field2, if(getselectedcount(field1)=4,1,

if( getcurrentfield(MyGroup) = field3, if(getselectedcount(field1)=11,1,0)))

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Gysbert,

yes, something like that might work. I'll try anyway. Actually I tried something similar, though simpler. I also thought that the Getpossibleselections function might do it (I want to query the number of items displayed, the nr. of items selected is probably always 1 (I don't suppose the users of my dashboard will do any lassoeing).

I will try and get back to you.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Gysbert,

sorry for the delayed answer, I was in a training all day. I just got a hint from an external supporter we have and I now know how to modify the table (using a RESIDENT load) so that I will actually have a "blank dimension" inbetween every two "real" dimensions. That looks like a bit of an effort to program, but it will save me the use of these white textboxesand, from my point of view (I'm a perfectionist if possible) it is the preferable way - I think any kind of workarounds should be avoided whenever possible.

I'll try your solution anyway, as a practical exercise to learn, but I think I won't go that way in the long run.

Thanks a lot for the hint anyway!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: Unfortunately, it doesn't work your way, either - unless I am getting it wrong somehow: I'm currently on the level of "Partner_Type" and four different instances of that are displayed - plus a total. The next level up is "Turnover_Type" of which there is currently only one.

Intention: The white textboxes which are currently below the diagram should only be displayed when there are six instances of "Partner_Type" (plus the total) so that there is something above and below the white line and it doesn't show up on its own against the background. What I write on the layout_tab of the properties dialog is this:

=IF Getselectedfield(Group) = 'Partner_Type', IF(getselectedcount(Turnover_Type)=6, 1, 0))

That doesn't work, however.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

sorry for the delay - this still doesn't work.

Currently, the textboxes have a formula on the "general" tab of the properties dialog to decide, depending on a variable "v_Developer_Mode" whether they should be white (for the user) or green (for me, easier to spot).

The context of my current problem is such:

- I am currently viewing the data on the level "PartnerType". There are four different values of that.

- A textbox with the formula >> COUNT(DISTINCT PartnerType)  << tells me there are four.

- I want the textbox below to be displayed only when there are no less than six values.

=> On the "layout" tab of the properties dialog I select the radiobutton "condition" in the "display" area and type
     >>  COUNT(DISTINCT PartnerType) >= 6  <<

=> Now the textbox should disappear because the condition is not met, shouldn't it? Well, it doesn't.

Can anybody think of the reason for this? I know from an external supporter that this method should work, it does on his PC - so something must be different that prevents it from working that way.

Can anybody think of a reason for this?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

can nobody here think of something that may be blocking this function in my case?

I have also tried to make the display dependent on the value of a variable that I have set myself, but that doesn't work either. The textbox just doesn't react to a change in the display_condition.

That is really a major problem rgd. this Dashboard.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

DataNibbler