Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Conditionally hide an expression column in a straight table

Hi,

Hopefully a really easy one here.  I have a simple straight table with a couple of expression columns based on two years selected by the user.  I want to show both sets of columns when the two years selected are different, but if they select the same year twice (which they can do) I would like to suppress (hide) these columns and it makes no sense to show the data twice.

Anyone got any pointers - I wondered if it was done via the "Conditional" statement next to the enabled checkbox on the expressions tab in properties?

Thanks

Trevor

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Try looking under the Presentation tab of the table Properties box. Selcet the Column (Expression) you want to hide conditionally and check the 'Conditional' radio button, then enter something similar to =Date_A-Date_B<>0.

In light of your update it may be more: =v_Year1-v_Year2<>0

Hopefully that should put you on the right path.

All the best,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd

New Qlikview Design Blog: http://qvdesign.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Forgot to mention, that the expressions are controlled via two variables vYear1 and vYear2 - is it possible to use this in a conditional statement by comparing the values they contain?

matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Try looking under the Presentation tab of the table Properties box. Selcet the Column (Expression) you want to hide conditionally and check the 'Conditional' radio button, then enter something similar to =Date_A-Date_B<>0.

In light of your update it may be more: =v_Year1-v_Year2<>0

Hopefully that should put you on the right path.

All the best,

Not applicable
Author

I have this chart as a quick change between a straight and pivot table and have noticed that some of the property settings are available in both views.  For example that which you just suggested.  In straight table view, this property is there and works like a charm, but when I switch view, these properties aren't available.

Do you know of anyway to do something similar in a pivot table?

Thanks

matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Trevor,

On the whole I avoid Pivot Tables - they have their (very useful) uses but where possible I usually go with Straight Tables as they can be much more flexible...as you're finding here.

As far as I'm aware the main reason for this is that the Pivot object has a fundementally different structure behind the scenes to all other chart and table objects; they all essentially have a Straight Table driving them where as the Pivot is totally different.

I'll have a think and try to come up with something but short of getting very complex with macros to add and remove columns I can't see it being possible. Depending on what you're showing I'd personally stick with the Straight Table; is the data displayed in a greatly different manner in teh Pivot compered to the Straight table?

All the best,

Not applicable
Author

Hi Matt,

Honestly, don't waste the effort.  I agree with your statement and am finding this type of thing out as I move forward.  This is very early days for me with Qlikview, so I'm aware that some of my questions maybe naive.

This conditional view of expressions definately works better in the straight table, as the pivot table should really be showing similar data, but in a different way.

I will split my tables back into two as this is the best way forward.

Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated!